Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any plans to change the site soon ?

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by WN9HJW View Post

As you often do, you read way too much into things. Don't take it literally.
    That's a bold statement.

Do you hold the patent on interpretation?
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Time for an appropriate musical interlude:

"Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Witch Doctor
    From my point of view, there are a lot of "acutes" and "chronics" in the forum. I think I'm one of the "chronics". There's a "combine" as well. There is for sure a lot of pressure to conform in the political forum.

As a mostly neutral observer I don't see that N1LAF is doing anything any different or any thing more trollish than a lot of others are doing constantly. The only difference is that he's on the "wrong side" - he doesn't conform.

Trolling using "biased sources"? That's funny. The political forum is FULL of trolling based on links and quotes from blatantly biased sources and are never challenged. Bias is relative. Everything is biased from someone's point of view.
    Last edited by WN9HJW; 07-21-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Witch Doctor
    Quote Originally Posted by WU9G View Post
    That's a bold statement.

Do you hold the patent on interpretation?
    Do you ever quote things IN CONTEXT?

Quote Originally Posted by WN9HJW View Post
    Do you ever quote things IN CONTEXT?
    Yes, I do.

Thanks for your opinion. I think you're wrong about this and LAF thing, but I'm not interested in engaging you further, as I know how this is going to play out.

We've seen this act before.

Have a nice day.

Witch Doctor
    Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg View Post
    An additional comment on this topic...

I've already stated this, but we've determined that the constant trolling in the political forum created the nasty atmosphere that encouraged vicious personal attacks. While these classic meltdowns may have generated additional traffic in the style of a train wreck, this is not sustainable. In the long run, folks are offended by some of the vicious comments, and they do leave. I can name a half dozen long time members who no longer visit here because of the vicious attacks, and I'd love dearly to have them back.

The disaster that was once our political forum is over. We encourage vibrant, lively discussion, even strong disagreement, but we will no longer allow the relentless trolling or singularly personal attacks. Sooner or later, someone from the other side of the spectrum will offer a troll posting, and it will be met with the same result. The political forum is now for adult discussion.

If you have an ax to grind, take it elsewhere. As to the QRZ comparison, there will be no bannings unless someone really wants to force our hand.

I'm confident that we can return to being a forum where amateur radio operators may discuss the topics of the day without fear of retribution from the staff, and free from the disgust of being personally insulted by others.

Thread locks do no damage, except for those whose ego overrides common sense. Don't troll, incite hatred, or personally insult others, and we won't lock the threads. Act as an adult, and be treated as one. That's in our rules, and seems pretty reasonable.

ETA: Nobody ever said that a new discussion of a topic in a locked thread was forbidden. Almost any reasonable topic is allowed, so if a thread you were interested in gets locked, start a new one!
    This seems very reasonable. Good luck.

I have all but quit posting so-called opinion pieces on this forum.

Because.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    I have all but quit posting so-called opinion pieces on this forum.

Because.
    There's nothing wrong with an opinion piece. What's wrong is when the opinion piece gets quoted as fact.

That's the issue.

Unsourced garbage isn't worth the time of day.

Having said that, a SOURCED piece of information should not be discarded simply because it's from a site someone doesn't like for ideological reasons.

I submit that most right wing sites are "spaghetti throws" in that they disseminate information they WANT to be factual, but isn't. The old "if it sticks, run with it" theory. The "both sides do it" argument doesn't work, because both sides don't do it. It's really been only side that flings the spaghetti and they are tinged with tea.

Quote Originally Posted by WU9G View Post
    The "both sides do it" argument doesn't work, because both sides don't do it. It's really been only side that flings the spaghetti
    Well, with one exception, anyhow.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Oh, I know. But after the Turd Blossom debacle, I have disarmed myself. Can't hurt that Turd's feelings, it causes the whole forum to deteriorate. Meh. Meh, meh, meh.

At least there were staff changes. And I'm SO glad it happened. We no longer have a certain blatant troll on the staff. Of course, I was accused (and probably still will be) of being a troll. However, the less said about it anymore, the better, as it will be considered a personal attack.

I trust Jeff and Luke's judgement in these matters, and will always be proud of the fact that I fell on the sword. It does get better.

And, liberal is not a dirty word, but DON'T call me a liberal. OK? :rofl:
    Last edited by WØTKX; 07-21-2013 at 02:01 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman