Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are these?

What are these?

I have nothing to do at 2am, so I was inspecting the home page and clicked on the 'users online' tag, and this is what I found.

Attachment 9999

Why are google 'spiders' viewing domestic violence threads on a ham radio forum?

And I was also wondering how much of this forum is unviewable by non-registered members.?

Wow, you are a smart dude. The google spider is the NSA. However, you bring up a point that I have always felt strongly about. I was under the impression that only registered users could view the content of the sensitive / selective areas of discussion, ie. politics. etc. Apparently I was wrong. When I signed out, I could read everything. That is terrible. That means I can’t speak my mind anymore if Bob is watching... Most forums that are related to having a license in a specific area, or discussion , ham radio, ATC airline pilots forum, medical, law etc. etc. will only allow the public to view the general, or educational portions of the forum. I could list them all but it’s not necessary. I can’t even view the landscaping forum postings without becoming a member. I hope we put this up for a vote and change it.

Quote Originally Posted by K9CCH View Post
    Why are google 'spiders' viewing domestic violence threads on a ham radio forum?
    This is normal activity, performed by nearly all of the search engines. They harvest data useful to their function as search engines. This is allowed, otherwise, there would be little to see if you 'googled' HamIsland.

And I was also wondering how much of this forum is unviewable by non-registered members.?
    Not too much. Goes with the theme of acting as adults. The political forum is intentionally public if for no other reason than to add a level of accountability for what's posted.

Forums invisible to non-members have this listed in their descriptions on the index page. All other forums are public and may be viewed by non-members.

Profiles here are off-limits to non-members and bots alike.

None of this is likely to change. There is a fine balance between portraying the site as open and inviting to all versus paranoid and secretive.

You should carefully consider what you post in both the public and private forums, as it is very likely going to remain just as you offered it for a very long time.

Use your freedom to speak your mind here carefully. If you think you're gonna regret saying something here, you're probably right!
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

I respectfully disagree. Most forums today, require membership, accountability, to view the forums materiel. Its like a private club for hams, if you don’t have to join, but everyone can mock and read what you write as non members it is just not right. Most forums of specific subject materiel are this way, and it is a good idea. News forums are the only exceptions. I say we vote. Any seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by WH2HAO View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Most forums today, require membership, accountability, to view the forums materiel. Its like a private club for hams, if you don’t have to join, but everyone can mock and read what you write as non members it is just not right. Most forums of specific subject materiel are this way, and it is a good idea. News forums are the only exceptions. I say we vote. Any seconds.
    Object to Consideration!
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

After logging out of my account to test every amateur radio related forum I visit I have found that most of them allow me to read most boards if not all. The island, QRZ, QTH, Eham, Radioreference, AMfone, etc. However, most only have a general chat section if that when talking about non radio related material. IE most radio sites talk about only radio topics. Or rather, that is what is intended. Most of my major gaming forums allow me to read everything while not logged in as well. I also visit reptile forums and they run about 50/50 open to public reading vs closed. So with that group it is a toss up.

I cant speak for any other type of forum.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Yeah, most of the forums I frequent allow open access to most of the content.

I don't plan on changing anything. We've dawn a lot of new members in through Google and other search engines.

I just don’t see the politics section as necessary to read for everyone. But ok.

Quote Originally Posted by KB3LAZ View Post
    <snip>I also visit reptile forums and they run about 50/50 open to public reading vs closed. So with that group it is a toss up.

I cant speak for any other type of forum.
    Wow, I thought you quit going to the ZED.
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 07-13-2013 at 04:43 PM.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by WH2HAO View Post

Not from me. The way it is and has been is fine by me. I don't usually go out of my way to post things I can be mocked about, but if/when it happens, color me "I don't give a shit". Besides, I don't go to other sites to see if anyone is posting shit about me anyway. I have some real problems in my life to address, and believe me, that isn't one of them.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL