Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildfire.

Wildfire.

For the last 10 days, the mountain behind our house has been burning up. About 25,000 acres have burned in Carpenter Canyon, Trout Canyon and Kyle Canyon. The Kyle Canyon road begins at the edge of my neighborhood. So far, nearly 600 people have been evacuated and 6 structures lost up there. Over 800 firefighters are battling this fire in difficult terrain and it went down to 10% contained.

The air has been really bad here for about a week, sending some folks to the ER with breathing issues. Yesterday we had a clear, sunny day, but it looked like end times on the NW side of the valley. Ash was falling like snow on us. Here are a couple of cell pics i shot returning to the house.

1250.jpg
    1267.jpg
    1263.jpg

In on the edge of town (as you can see by the pics) where the horse ranches are. There are a few more up the hill there. Its been hard to breathe the last week, chest is hurting, but im fine otherwise. Been a wacky week, for sure! I just hope the folks up the road dont lose their homes and ranches. Send them some good vibes if you will.
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.

Stay safe dude.. wild fires are a bitch.

Video of a man on a tractor building his own fire line in Colorado:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=760_1373385040

We've been going through the same thing here, Adam. Nothing like in 2003 or 2007 but there's a pretty good fire burning in the mountains east of here. It burned up the camp where my ARC usually holds Field Day so I guess we're going to have to find somewhere else next year.

All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Yikes!! ....... that's scary stuff! ......the makings of an interface fire! Here on Vancouver Island every year we get the conditions right for these huge wildfires but we always beat the odds. Unfortunately,smoke from the fires in Colorado and even from Siberia last year made for bad air quality around here.....hope you're out of the way from this bad looking fire Adam!

:shock:
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt!

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!

The YL and I have been very busy clearing ground clutter after our scare earlier this year. We have a few more trees to remove that are too close to the house. Wildfires are freaking scary.

Luckily, we have been getting daily rains up in the mountains, it's good to see the monsoons again.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

All though not always the perfect solution, I hope some of these recent wildfires will stifle these GD tree huggers, and the forest service can get back to doing some controlled burns. Clearing out years of undergrowth and burning off some of the fuel that feeds these explosive fires is the only way to manage some of these deadly and devastating fires.

Adam, I hope the folks up near you come out better than the one near us in Yarnell did.
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 07-10-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Stay healthy and safe please...
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Im a bit of a nature loving tree-hugger myself, but im also a practical person, undergrowth, pine needles and dried ruffage is what fuels these fires. Up here, its been the lack of rain. Once in a while, fire is going to happen, but it will help new growth by clearing out the floor of debris for a couple of seasons.

Trees grow back, homes can be rebuilt, and this fire will eventually die down and be brought under control. I just hope it doesnt take out the lodge and Mt Charleston hotel...did our honeymoon up there. The fire is surrounding these places right now and the crews are trying to protect the tiny community up there. The houses are chalets and cabins on steep slopes in the high forest...beautiful, but a dangerous place to build for this reason.

By no means am i trying to complain against what has already been lost in other parts of the country to much larger and more deadly fires so far. There just seems to be a lot of fires this year, a lot more heat and a lot less rain. We hit 117 the other day, im sure you guys in AZ got higher than that. It was 129 in Death Valley.
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.

Imagine if that was 25,000 acres of marijuana instead of pine going up.

I'm SURE you'd bitch about the air quality then.

"Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N7YA View Post
    Im a bit of a nature loving tree-hugger myself, but im also a practical person, undergrowth, pine needles and dried ruffage is what fuels these fires. Up here, its been the lack of rain. Once in a while, fire is going to happen, but it will help new growth by clearing out the floor of debris for a couple of seasons.

Trees grow back, homes can be rebuilt, and this fire will eventually die down and be brought under control. I just hope it doesnt take out the lodge and Mt Charleston hotel...did our honeymoon up there. The fire is surrounding these places right now and the crews are trying to protect the tiny community up there. The houses are chalets and cabins on steep slopes in the high forest...beautiful, but a dangerous place to build for this reason.

By no means am i trying to complain against what has already been lost in other parts of the country to much larger and more deadly fires so far. There just seems to be a lot of fires this year, a lot more heat and a lot less rain. We hit 117 the other day, im sure you guys in AZ got higher than that. It was 129 in Death Valley.
    The heat that was going on in Death Valley was also indirectly responsible for the record temperatures in our neck of the woods...... last week we hit 35 degrees Celsius! ......... we've never recorded a temperature like that ever in july!
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt!

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!