Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A $300 TS-940S

A $300 TS-940S

So I get a call from W3WH on Saturday (in the midst of the family reunion, of course). Amongst other things, he tells me that a local-to-him ham in Washington PA was in the midst of selling off some equipment.

Did I think that KB3ERQ would like a TS-940S? With filters, speaker, PS, etc... for $300?

Long & short of it, I got them talking, and Ben took the radio home on Sunday (yea!)

He should be putting in on the air shortly. At the moment, his only HF antenna is a 10 meter Ringo, but that's a start...
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Make darn sure the PSU and PA cooling fans are clean, turn freely...then place a drop of 3-in-1 or similar light lubricating oil into their lubrication points as noted in the Kenwood service manual.

Else you're going to be looking at an impressive paperweight in the future. The pass transistors are being run close to their maximum ratings as-is in that design and if the airflow is choked off they'll overheat and fail - taking lots of unobtanium things with them.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I've got friends who love those rigs, and they are nice. Those who love 'em, stock "boneyard" parts for them.

The TS-850 is approaching that status. Still don't want to sell mine, but... :chin:
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I have an 830S, a 930S, but no 940S yet. Someday.....And that is about the price I want to pay for one!

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Make darn sure the PSU and PA cooling fans are clean, turn freely...then place a drop of 3-in-1 or similar light lubricating oil into their lubrication points as noted in the Kenwood service manual.

Else you're going to be looking at an impressive paperweight in the future. The pass transistors are being run close to their maximum ratings as-is in that design and if the airflow is choked off they'll overheat and fail - taking lots of unobtanium things with them.
    Ben's been monitoring the forums... although I don't think he's posted yet. Still, I'll make sure he's aware of this.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by wa6mhz View Post
    I have an 830S, a 930S, but no 940S yet. Someday.....And that is about the price I want to pay for one!
    You need a '530SP before the '940. They're a little rare.

And a TS-830M (yes, 'M'). AM transceive included for the Euro market.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post

I'll tell you something about 3 in 1 oil, Fred. Unless the formulation has changed over the years, with time and temperature, it tends to leave a gummy, varnish like residue. And that really plays hell with fan bearings and other moving parts. For quite some time, I've been using a very good quality synthetic clock oil that lasts a long, long time, and doesn't break down with heat. I've also used it in commercial applications with equipment in some very harsh environments without any issues. The stuff isn't very expensive (well, it is more than 3n1) and a little goes a long way. I just apply it with a small syringe/needle I get at the vet supply. Like I said, it might be that 3n1 has changed it's formulation, but back when I use to work on sewing machines, that stuff really played hell on the bearings and races. Just an FYI
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Lithium grease? Aerosol type. Dismount the fans to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Lithium grease? Aerosol type. Dismount the fans to apply.
    Helps with the fan's depression as well.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    I'll tell you something about 3 in 1 oil, Fred. Unless the formulation has changed over the years, with time and temperature, it tends to leave a gummy, varnish like residue. And that really plays hell with fan bearings and other moving parts. For quite some time, I've been using a very good quality synthetic clock oil that lasts a long, long time, and doesn't break down with heat. I've also used it in commercial applications with equipment in some very harsh environments without any issues. The stuff isn't very expensive (well, it is more than 3n1) and a little goes a long way. I just apply it with a small syringe/needle I get at the vet supply. Like I said, it might be that 3n1 has changed it's formulation, but back when I use to work on sewing machines, that stuff really played hell on the bearings and races. Just an FYI
    Interesting, Eddie. Have a link to the product you're talking about?