Thread: CW QSO generator

CW QSO generator

I'm going to write a cw qso generator as part of an upcoming project. I can see how to put all the typical randomly selected strings, calls etc together in a program, but what I don't have is thorough knowledge of the typical things people send in CW, e.g. phrases, structure. I want to make the generator good, rather than just churning out random callsigns, rigs and antennas.

So, it would be a great help if any CW ops could post with typical qso patterns, phrases and general things they have noticed when working CW. Anything that pops into your mind, even if it seems obvious. Describe the pattern.

——••• •••—— •— —• —•• ••—• ••— —•—• —•— —•—— ——— ••— ——— —— —•• • [call sign]
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    ——••• •••—— •— —• —•• ••—• ••— —•—• —•— —•—— ——— ••— ——— —— —•• • [call sign]
    haha, that would be funny to include with a low probability factor. perhaps add a random insult tickbox

Before the demise of my HF rig, early morning rag chewning on 30 meters was my favorite activity. Most QSO's started with the usual, exchange of names, QTH, signal reports, and equipment. If I sensed the other party wanted to chat, I'd offer how long I had been in the hobby and what my specific interests were. We would usually discuss our interests outside of amateur radio, and perhaps a mention of how we earned a living. Most memorable were the chats where one of us would mention an event personally important, like a wedding, concert, or even attending a sporting event. Many times, when the NASCAR race was in Richmond, I would be asked about the track, local entertainment, etc.

Once outside the 'box' of the typical QSO, most any topic was available. Of course, during the conversation, conditions would change, and that, too, would be a part of the discussion. On several occasions, I have switched bands to continue an especially interesting chat.

One thing I've never run into during my many rag chew sessions - politics. That just makes CW even more enjoyable!
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

The project is an android HF CW training program for nighttime training without paper. It simulates proper HF noise, CW stations, chirp, fading, qrm, different IF filters and beacons. The audio engine is pretty much complete, now its just a matter of putting together QSO simulations and taking text from your favourite newsfeed and feeding it in. When you go to bed and can't sleep, plug in your tablet and away you go. Constantly changing information, minimal boredom. Its amazing how realistic it sounds!

Heres a link to the apk with the audio engine working:
    www.mw0uzo.co.uk/cwtch/CWtch.apk

Try it on your phone/tablet, would be good to know if it works on devices other than my tablet.
    Last edited by mw0uzo; 07-06-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Here is the list of prefixes I will use to generate the callsigns:

http://www.qsl.net/yb0zdc/ITU.html

Question: For prefixes like this
    Conway-Reef-3D2/C

how is the callsign constructed?

is it 3D2XYZ/C or 3D2/CXYZ?

Anyone tried this on their tablet? Is the audio continuous?

I woulda, but no Android toys here...

Edit: I just downloaded the Bluestacks emulator, no time to install it right now.
    Last edited by WØTKX; 07-10-2013 at 05:45 AM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

My main concern at the moment is the CPU usage, cos its all simulated/synthesised, goes into some digital filters for getting the IF filter sound right and written in java. It seems to work ok on my supercheap dual core tablet.

Oh, one thing commonly found on the bands can be programmed when a DX call is sent is "operating conditions here" between the callsign exchange and randomly selected rigs and antennas. My response to that usually was "Operating conditions here are terrible, I slave away at a radio all day and don't get paid for it. I wish the IARU was a real union." There always was a long pause before his next transmission..........
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.