Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'What Are You Reading?' Thread

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    But......but.......but.... he's the one that discovered Las Vegas.
    I thought that was Bugsy Siegel.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I thought that was Bugsy Siegel.
    Damn. I always get those two mixed up. Loved him in "Retired At 35".
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Just finished "Lost Towns of the Hudson Valley" by Wesley Gottlcok. In the middle of "Hidden History of the Mid-Hudson Valley" by Carney Rhinevault, mostly in the colonial era before the Revolutionary War in 1776. First story was about a the First British Governor of New York who also was a Transvestite and had an ear fetish among other idiosyncrasies.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Simultaneously reading "The Hudson: America's River" by Frances F. Dunwell, a history of the Hudson Valley, centering on Rt. 9W. Three presidents, and a number of inventors including Samuel Morse lived in the area.

and "Grand Central: How a Train Station Transformed America" by Sam Roberts a history of the great terminal, the busiest in the world and one of the world's largest. Airports and Malls got started by the design of Grand Central Terminal, as did 'air rights.'
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Picked up The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern. Nice Jewish girl.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Picked up The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern. Nice Jewish girl.

Didn't she paly Rhoda in "That Girl"?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Presently reading Haldeman's "The Forever War" for the 3rd time. New version that replaces the original edited one from the early '70s.

I am looking for Brian Garfield's* "The Paladin" but not an easy find. Seems it isn't an eBook yet either.

*Famous for writing Death Wish.
    --Philip K. Dick

Finished The Night Circus, a fun read. I'm sure someone is going go make a movie out of it eventually. After that, I read Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil Gaiman's latest. Not bad, but not his best effort either. Currently reading Home Town, by Tracy Kidder.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 12-23-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Just finished Celtic Traditions, started Close To The Light....but its turning into a Christian marketing handbook so im losing interest rapidly. But Devie just got me Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher by Timothy Egan. Its an account of Edward Curtis, a famous and well off photographer from the turn of the last century and how he threw it all away to live among, document and photograph that last free bands of Native Americans before they disappeared.

This morning, as part of our "Ok, i cant wait...lets open just one" Yule tradition, i selected one present and it turned out to be Fire In The Head; Shamanism and the Celtic Spirit by Tom Cowan. Im looking forward to that one! I have been eyeing Haunted America for the last week or two, so im guessing it will be promoted to the night stand very soon.

Forum Addict

Well, listening anyway...
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry