Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'What Are You Reading?' Thread

The 'What Are You Reading?' Thread

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Marquez.

Oaxaca, by Oliver Sacks
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers: Idiots Abroad Part I by Gilbert Shelton and Paul Mavrides
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Re-reading "Ender's Shadow" by Orson Scott Card.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, William L. Shirer (A slow read as it is full of history and long footnotes, but worth it).

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is a non-fiction book by William L. Shirer chronicling the general history of Nazi Germany from 1932 to 1945. It was first published in 1960, by Simon & Schuster in the United States, where it won a National Book Award.[1] It was a bestseller in both the U.S. and Europe, and a critical success outside Germany, where harsh criticism stimulated sales. Academic historians were generally critical.
    Rise and Fall is based upon captured Third Reich documents, the available diaries of propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels, General Franz Halder, and of the Italian Foreign Minister Galeazzo Ciano, evidence and testimony from the Nuremberg trials, British Foreign Office reports, and the author's recollection of six years reporting on the Third Reich for newspapers, the United Press International (UPI), and CBS Radio —terminated by Nazi Party censorship in 1940.
    to be followed by Up the Line, Robert Silverberg

The story's protagonist is Jud Elliott III, a failed Harvard history masters student in 2059. Bored with his job as a law clerk, he takes up a position with the Time Service as a Time Courier.After an introductory course, Jud shunts up and down the time line ("up the line" is travel into the past; "down the line" is forward time travel, but only to "now-time," Jud's present of 2059) as a guide for tourists visiting ancient and medieval Byzantium/Constantinople.
    Jud's problems include not only stupid tourists, but also greedy and mentally unstable colleagues who attempt to cause various types of havoc with the past. He is forced to break the rules in order to patch things up without drawing the attention of the Time Patrol.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

atm nothing ... but that will change on monday when i start assisting in the operation of a mooc. i have a blog post to write, another blog post to edit, a travel award application to complete and a newsletter to write ... and on monday i also start reworking a literature review for a class in which i have an incomplete.

and all this ignores all the books i brought back from librarians gone wild!
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Now, Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Uncle Johns 25th Edition Bathroom Reader

FullyLoadedHoliday.jpg
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

I'm reading this: https://forums.hamisland.net/showthr...Reading-Thread

On edit, keep clicking on the link each time it pops up. (;->)
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 07-21-2013 at 11:02 PM.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.