Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'What Are You Reading?' Thread

Quote Originally Posted by N7YA View Post
    That is pretty good, i must admit.
    Chabon could write about the most banal topic and make it sound like poetry. That was from a non-fiction work, and it referred to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's father, who died in an insane asylum.

Here's a excerpt from his (IMHO) greatly under-appreciated novel, The Yiddish Policeman's Union:

"The Yiddish Policeman's Union," says the pie man's daughter, sitting down on the bench beside Landsman. She has taken off her apron and washed her hands. Above the elbows, her freckled arms are dusted with flour. There is flour in her blond eyebrows. She wears her hair tied back in a black elastic. She is a hauntingly plain woman with watery blues eyes, about Landsman's age. She gives off a smell of butter, tobacco, and a sour tang of dough that he finds weirdly erotic. She lights a menthol cigarette and sends a jet of smoke toward him. "That's a new one."

The first time I came upon that paragraph, I must have read and reread it five times in succession, just reveling in it's linguistic artistry. My wife doesn't like me to read his stuff in bed because I keep bothering her, reading passages out loud.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 09-28-2014 at 11:54 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Nelson DeMille's book got me started in Mystery/Detective books for the first time. Been delving into Hammett, Chandler, Christie, Queen and Stout.

Listening to Ellery Queens "The Cat Has Claws" while reading "The Door Into Summer" (Heinlein) for the 3
    rd time and "Tell Me Why" (Time Riley) about the Beatles from 1967 to the Present, particularly their breakup. Both books are page turners.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

I think i am going to pass on the books by all former KISS members...aside from Ace Frehley. I read his book, it was ok.
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.

I think i am going to pass on the books by all former KISS members...aside from Ace Frehley. I read his book, it was ok.
    I'm not a big KISS fan. Queen, yes. KISS were more or less local guys from Long Island.

Have you had a chance to hear Nikki Sixx show, Sixx Sense? It's syndicated (FM) and on in the area here.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

I haven't. But i do know he thinks Gene Simmons is a douche...which is like saying a book has pages and words. Gene is a complete douche, Paul is a company man, Peter is a bitter old man and Ace is a complete space cadet...but he's my favorite because all he wants to do is have fun, play rock and roll and be Ace Frehley. I cant argue with that!

But yeah, Ace is as tuned in as a single gym sock.

I haven't. But i do know he thinks Gene Simmons is a douche...which is like saying a book has pages and words. Gene is a complete douche, Paul is a company man, Peter is a bitter old man and Ace is a complete space cadet...but he's my favorite because all he wants to do is have fun, play rock and roll and be Ace Frehley. I cant argue with that!

But yeah, Ace is as tuned in as a single gym sock.
    What was Ace's book called? I'm going to look it up and give it a try.

My favorite spacey rocker is Keith Moon. Just thinking about him makes me laugh. The Beatle book is better than I expected... pretty long, but when they're this good you don't want to finish too soon.
    --Philip K. Dick

Currently reading:

Pale Blue Dot - Carl Sagan
    My Four Years in Germany - James Gerard
    Audiobooks:
    A Brief History of Everything - Bill Bryson
    The Civil War - A Narrative, Volume 3 - Shelby Foote

I don't watch TV very much

73, Jason N8XE
    "Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense." - Carl Sagan

Magdalena,New Mexico-- more left than right
    Robert Anson Heinlein's "Stranger In A Strange Land"---the unabridged & UNCUT version...

includes some 60K words cut from original release in 1961...sex, sex, and more sex.....
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    Arch Linux OS
    "If you're not living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH View Post
    What was Ace's book called? I'm going to look it up and give it a try.

My favorite spacey rocker is Keith Moon. Just thinking about him makes me laugh. The Beatle book is better than I expected... pretty long, but when they're this good you don't want to finish too soon.

Its called No Regrets. ...go figure.

I would have loved to read a book by Keith Moon! And i will agree on the Beatles. I think that would be a good read.

Its called No Regrets. ...go figure.

I would have loved to read a book by Keith Moon! And i will agree on the Beatles. I think that would be a good read.
    Got the next best thing. A book about Keith Moon. Dear Boy: The Life of Keith Moon, by Tony Fletcher (Updated 2005)

Next week's read.
    --Philip K. Dick