Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'What Are You Reading?' Thread

I rarely read literature, fiction or non-fiction. I generally read text books, mostly Math and Science textbooks or books about computers and computer technology.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    I rarely read literature, fiction or non-fiction. I generally read text books, mostly Math and Science textbooks or books about computers and computer technology.

That explains a lot........ :stickpoke:
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    That's too bad. I read somewhere, recently, reading fiction improves brain function.
    Last edited by KC2KFC; 07-18-2014 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
    Stay healthy my friends.

NSA Secrets: Government Spying in the Internet Age

A book by the Washington Post on the Snowden leaks and what they mean to anyone on the Internet. WaPo won the Pulitzer for their coverage on the Snowdon Affair.

BLURB Follows:

NSA Secrets: Government Spying in the Internet Age

The NSA's extensive surveillance program has riveted America as the public questions the threats to their privacy. As reported by The Washington Post, NSA SECRETS delves into the shadowy world of information gathering, and exposes how data about you is being gathered every day.

From his earliest encrypted exchanges with reporters, Edward Snowden knew he was a man in danger. Sitting on a mountain of incriminating evidence about the NSA surveillance programs, Snowden was prepared to risk his freedom, and his very life, to let the world know about the perceived overreach of the NSA and the massive collection of personal information that was carried out in the name of national security by the U.S. government.

The Washington Post’s complete coverage of the NSA spying scandal, which it helped break, is now collected in one place to give as comprehensive a view of the story as is known. From the first contact with Snowden to the latest revelations in worldwide cellphone tracking, the award-winning reporters at the Post have vigorously reported on the scope of the NSA’s surveillance. Snowden called the internet “a TV that watches you,” and accused the government of "abusing [it] in secret to extend their powers beyond what is necessary and appropriate." Here, the secrets are revealed of those who tried in vain to remain in the shadows.
    Webpage ($2.99 B&N ePub or Amazon AZW)

If anyone wants to know how to read these ebooks on their computer, just download Calibre HERE.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Found a Great Summer Read (IMHO)

Plum Island, by Nelson DeMille

BLURB follows:

Wounded in the line of duty, NYPD homicide detective John Corey convalesces in the Long Island township of Southold, home to farmers, fishermen -- and at least one killer. Tom and Judy Gordon, a young, attractive couple Corey knows, have been found on their patio, each with a bullet in the head. The local police chief, Sylvester Maxwell, wants Corey's big-city expertise, but Maxwell gets more than he bargained for.

The early signs point to a burglary gone wrong. But because the Gordons were biologists at Plum Island, the offshore animal disease research site rumored to be involved in germ warfare, it isn't long before the media is suggesting that the Gordons stole something very deadly. Suddenly a local double murder becomes a crime with national and worldwide implications.
    This is a page turner for me and a good who-dun-it, similar to the classics, but with a more modern approach. Not bad and I recommend it to anyone wanting something to read in the air-conditioning, the beach or a long train ride.
    --Philip K. Dick

Magdalena,New Mexico-- more left than right
    just finished re-reading George Orwell's "Animal Farm" for the Nth time....1 of my favorites "...all animals are equal, but some are more equal"

now re-reading Jack London's "Call Of The Wild"....what a magnificent story !!!

after that will take on Graham Hancock's "Fingerprints Of The Gods" again....fascinating theory he has about lost civilizations and
    the precession of the Equinoxes....
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    Arch Linux OS
    "If you're not living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by KC2KFC View Post
    That's too bad. I read somewhere, recently, reading fiction improves brain function.
    With the likely exception of narcissist manifestos like The Turner Diaries and Atlas Shrugged?

Oh, and anything by L. Ron Hubbard.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Maps and Legends, by Michael Chabon. A sample:

"His was the kind of madness that reads the random text of the natural world and finds messages and secret connections, the agency of elves and demons and other liminal beings."

God damn, I wish I could write like that.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

That is pretty good, i must admit.
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.