Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'What Are You Reading?' Thread

Tears...
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.

Adam's book is nearly as funny as this thread. Recommend it, but only if you don't have a sensitive stomach.

Now a toss up between A Short History of Nuclear Folly by Rudolph Herzog and Six Days by Jeremy Bowen. The first is self-explanatory, the second is about the Arab - Israeli Six Day War in 1967.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

I'm reading the installation manual for the stainless steel range hood I'm going to install in the rental unit next door. It's a riot—written in Chinglish.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I'm reading the installation manual for the stainless steel range hood I'm going to install in the rental unit next door. It's a riot—written in Chinglish.
    You don't need no stinkin vent hood. Just vent it through the wall into the unit next door.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Got sidetracked by "Marvel Comics The Untold Story" by Sean Howe. If you were or are a fan of Marvel Comics then this is a must read. The story behind the scenes and the run up to the Silver Age of Comics in the '60s and beyond. I know it was a lot of fun reading them in the 60s but I never knew just how hard it was for the writers and the staff.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH View Post
    Got sidetracked by "Marvel Comics The Untold Story" by Sean Howe. If you were or are a fan of Marvel Comics then this is a must read. The story behind the scenes and the run up to the Silver Age of Comics in the '60s and beyond. I know it was a lot of fun reading them in the 60s but I never knew just how hard it was for the writers and the staff.
    I wish I had all of the boxes and boxes of comic books I had as a kid. I'd probably read them all again. I bet they'd be worth a fortune.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    I wish I had all of the boxes and boxes of comic books I had as a kid. I'd probably read them all again. I bet they'd be worth a fortune.
    I do too. I had about 2,000 of the '60s ones including some very rare X-Men. Seems that, according to Stan Lee, only 9 copies of first 30 issues were sold. I had 5 thru 40. BUT I did get to meet Stan a few times on a radio show I engineered. This was in the 70s. He asked me where I bought my X-Men and then shook my hand. Seems that the printer had an agreement with him to only keep printing if they sold at least 9 issues and I was #9. He gave me a No-Prize after stating I did what the Mighty Thor couldn't do. Save the X-Men.
    Last edited by N2NH; 07-04-2014 at 03:12 PM.
    --Philip K. Dick

The Majesty of Calmness by William George Jordan. I found it at a thrift store.
    Stay healthy my friends.

I know i put a hold on going Amazon-crazy...but i just ordered a copy of The Real Frank Zappa.
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.

"The Island at the Center of the World - The epic story of Dutch Manhattan and the Forgotten Colony that Shaped America" by Russell Shorto.

BLURB follows:

When the British wrested New Amsterdam from the Dutch in 1664, the truth about its thriving,polyglot society began to disappear into myths about an island purchased for 24 dollars and a cartoonish peg-legged governor. But the story of the Dutch colony of New Netherland was merely lost, not destroyed: 12,000 pages of its records--recently declared a national treasure--are now being translated. Drawing on this remarkable archive, Russell Shorto has created a gripping narrative--a story of global sweep centered on a wilderness called Manhattan--that transforms our understanding of early America.

The Dutch colony pre-dated the "original" thirteen colonies, yet it seems strikingly familiar. Its capital was cosmopolitan and multi-ethnic, and its citizens valued free trade, individual rights, and religious freedom. Their champion was a progressive, young lawyer named Adriaen van der Donck, who emerges in these pages as a forgotten American patriot and whose political vision brought him into conflict with Peter Stuyvesant, the autocratic director of the Dutch colony. The struggle between these two strong-willed men laid the foundation for New York City and helped shape American culture. The Island at the Center of the World uncovers a lost world and offers a surprising new perspective on our own.
    Revue follows:
    As the song goes, "Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam." Unfortunately, for many Americans, that is the limit of their knowledge about the Dutch colony that was seized by the English in 1664. Shorto, author of two previous books and articles published in the New Yorker and the New York Times Magazine, presents an outstanding and revealing chronicle of the Dutch presence on Manhattan Island. Much of his research is based on recently translated Dutch primary sources that have languished in archives in Albany. Written in elegant prose, this enthralling story provides original perspectives on several historical figures, including Henry Hudson, Peter Minuit, and Peter Stuyvesant. Shorto also highlights the contributions of Andriaen van der Donck, an energetic, charismatic man who played an integral part in creating a dynamic, diverse, and tolerant society that appears refreshing when compared to the neighboring Puritan-dominated colony in Massachusetts. This is an important work. Jay Freeman
    From HERE.
    --Philip K. Dick