Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'What Are You Reading?' Thread

Thats the thing with auto's penned by people other than the books namesake...you never know if people close to that person are going to come out and say that the book was all false crap, or if its the most accurate representation of that person to date.

I would hate to think that Keith Moon was actually a mellow, stay-at-home guy who only did this stuff for the camera....except for the OD'ing part, that was kind of real.
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.

Quote Originally Posted by N7YA View Post
    Thats the thing with auto's penned by people other than the books namesake...you never know if people close to that person are going to come out and say that the book was all false crap, or if its the most accurate representation of that person to date.

I would hate to think that Keith Moon was actually a mellow, stay-at-home guy who only did this stuff for the camera....except for the OD'ing part, that was kind of real.
    The book actually sez the opposite. What you saw? That was Keith. If anything he was just as bad if not worse in private. There was the story of how Led Zeppelin got it's name. The original group in the UK was The New Yardbirds having come out of The Yardbirds. They were trying to come up with a name for their group since a US tour was looming and the Yardbirds hadn't done too well in the US. When Keith Moon heard that they wanted to change the name, Keith said that it would go over like a lead balloon. Hence Led Zeppelin was born. At least that's how I heard it. So far, I've just scratched the surface. It's a week or so away from becoming the book in my hands, but I am looking forward to it.

Finished Door into Summer. Will start Memos from Purgatory by Harlan Ellison. Ought to be quite a ride.
    Last edited by N2NH; 10-02-2014 at 09:22 PM.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Just finished Swann's Way, the first book (of seven) of In Search of Lost Time*. I was always a little afraid of tackling Proust but was pleasantly surprised to find that, despite the occasional thousand-word sentence, it was quite readable. I enjoyed it.

I am taking a break before I start the next volume, however.

*aka Remembrance of Things Past.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 10-02-2014 at 09:06 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

"Park Avenue... Sou'.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Im on to 'Fire In The Head' by Tom Cowan.

So far, so good. :)
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.

Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides. Won the Pulitzer Prize in 2002.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Just finished Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, again, for the umpteenth time. Still a good read.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston (non-fiction):

The bestselling landmark account of the first emergence of the Ebola virus. A highly infectious, deadly virus from the central African rain forest suddenly appears in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. There is no cure. In a few days 90 percent of its victims are dead. A secret military SWAT team of soldiers and scientists is mobilized to stop the outbreak of this exotic "hot" virus. The Hot Zone tells this dramatic story, giving a hair-raising account of the appearance of rare and lethal viruses and their "crashes" into the human race. Shocking, frightening, and impossible to ignore, The Hot Zone proves that truth really is scarier than fiction.
    --Philip K. Dick

I am headed for the human's litterbox, and taking the DEC 14 QST with me! Great project on an 8877 KW amp in this issue!