Page 504 of 765 FirstFirst ... 4404454494502503504505506514554604 ... LastLast
Results 5,031 to 5,040 of 7648

Thread: The 'What Are You Listening To?' Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    That was fn live awesomeness.
    Last edited by ki4itv; 11-03-2010 at 09:19 PM.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by ki4itv View Post
    That was fn live awesomeness.
    I hear ye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6IxI...eature=related
    rot
    "In the field of opportunity, it's plowing time again."
    N.Young

rot
    "In the field of opportunity, it's plowing time again."
    N.Young

Beyond Awesome

A flash mob at Macy's NYC singing Handel. Man, I wish I'd been there...

All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Probably the world's largest pipe organ used to keep the cash registers ringing. The true spirit of any american religious holiday season. Handel is doing a 300 rpm grave spin.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Oh, fuck that! Put your cynicism aside for a minute and just dig the sound!
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

No cynicism, a comment on Handel. What little I know of Handel, he intended his work to be used to worship his god. I really doubt if that is the management of Macy's intent. I would have liked to have been there to hear that gigantic instrument in person. There is no other one like it. Somehow, being in the middle of a bunch of busy shoppers mulling around looking for bargains would take the magic out of the experience for me. Playing something that grand at Hamvention's flea market would have the same effect on most. It's time to try the decaf.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

You're looking at it all wrong. Try this:

You're in Macy's anyway, looking for a pair of socks or some other mundane thing. You simply want to be done with it as quickly as possible. Suddenly, a massive pipe organ starts up and hundred of voices join in singing Handel. You would be surprised and delighted and, judging by the reaction of the crowd, it looks as if most everybody there was indeed delighted by that random act of music.

Maybe I should add some background. I am one of the very few people who can say that that they have played a pipe organ. My parents bought a Hammond organ when I was 8. I took to it instantly. I took lessons, and my teacher has humble enough to refer me straight to the advanced teacher. I was a mediocre advanced student I would say. When I was 12, I won a state level contest playing Fats Waller's arrangement "Lenox Ave Blues". That and a dollar will get me a cup of coffee.
    When I was 16 I got a job at an old theater that had a 7 rank Mighty Wurlitzer. I closed the theater 3 nights a week. When everyone was out, I would lock the doors and fire up that Wurlitzer. Sometimes, I would play until 2:00 am. Having stated that, I am not a pro, I only have a bit of a unique perspective/appreciation of a pipe organ.

I am too easily distracted to enjoy an experience like that when others around me don't care. I saw some shoppers were unaffected by the sounds. I bet the editing left out the rest. You must have the ability to tune out distractions, I don't posses that skill where I could appreciate that experience to it's fullness in that environment. I would rather hear that in a concert hall than Macy's, or a pizza palace. That is just me....

cul de n8tb

No argument that it would be better to hear it in a concert hall but I don't think that was the point of the whole endeavor or that the two things are really comparable. In this case, the surprise and incongruity of it all was as important than the music itself.

It is true that I'm good at focusing and filtering out distractions, though. The XYL and I go around with that from time to time when she complains about something like a barking dog that I hadn't even noticed.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 11-06-2010 at 01:18 PM.