Thread: Experiences/thoughts on KX1?

Experiences/thoughts on KX1?

I'm looking at buying a QRP rig because 100 watts just ain't fun anymore. The Elecraft KX1 is what I'm leaning towards at the moment due to it's size and meager power requirements that would make traveling trails or internationally with it a breeze. However I've never owned an Elecraft, let alone built a kit. Does anyone have any experience with the above, and thoughts or recommendations?

Damn, Duncan, I had the BAN HAMMER swinging. How the HELL have you been? Unless this isn't you.

No experience with the KX1 but I've had the opportunity to spend a couple of afternoons with a friend's K3. Only one word for the receiver on that rig: Awesome. I think that Elecraft executes everything they do very well and that you could not go too far wrong with anything they sell.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by NA4BH View Post
    Damn, Duncan, I had the BAN HAMMER swinging. How the HELL have you been? Unless this isn't you.
    Immersing myself in the hobby after a brief hiatus! I graduated high school three weeks ago, and haven't looked back. It's great being able to operate with regularity again; everyone's warnings of the inherent distraction high school is were correct. I'll be headed up to KU in a little under three months to study Civil Engineering and Spanish, but more importantly YLs and the K0KU club station.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    No experience with the KX1 but I've had the opportunity to spend a couple of afternoons with a friend's K3. Only one word for the receiver on that rig: Awesome. I think that Elecraft executes everything they do very well and that you could not go too far wrong with anything they sell.
    I've picked that up, that was my general rationale for leaning Elecraft to begin with. The KX3 would be a pretty sweet rig as far as QRP goes, but it's a little pricey and just enough bulkier than the KX1. Wouldn't mind having one if I had the money to burn and already had a K3. :chin:

Quote Originally Posted by KU0DM View Post
    Immersing myself in the hobby after a brief hiatus! I graduated high school three weeks ago, and haven't looked back. It's great being able to operate with regularity again; everyone's warnings of the inherent distraction high school is were correct. I'll be headed up to KU in a little under three months to study Civil Engineering and Spanish, but more importantly YLs and the K0KU club station.
    Congrats on your graduation. Glad to hear you are operating with regularity again. Constipation is soooo uncomfortable.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Forum Addict
    I've had a K2, used a K3 during Field Day, seen how a friend's K1 does during FD on 20 CW. Would love to own something Elecraft again - the K2 was just too limited to be my only rig, and even on the other side of college the K3 is still out of my price range.

I'll be headed up to KU in a little under three months to study Civil Engineering and Spanish, but more importantly YLs and the K0KU club station.

I can tell you from experience, the first usually gets prioritized over the latter My school's ham club had a bad habit of meeting on Thursday nights, which happened to be the best party night off campus. I think I went to the club shack once.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry