Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Field Day

SK Member 8/11/2015

Field Day

I've been reading the rules for Field Day but for the life of me I can't find when you can start making contacts. Anyone help ? I don't know if the club ( Cherokee County ) is going to set up or not, if not I am going to try it at home on battery power if I can figure out how to do the paper work.lol

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by kk4fpx View Post
    I've been reading the rules for Field Day but for the life of me I can't find when you can start making contacts. Anyone help ? I don't know if the club ( Cherokee County ) is going to set up or not, if not I am going to try it at home on battery power if I can figure out how to do the paper work.lol
    http://www.arrl.org/field-day

Field Day is always the fourth full weekend of June, beginning at 1800 UTC Saturday and running through 2059 UTC Sunday. Field Day 2013 will be held June 22-23, 2013.

Good luck and have fun. It's not a wham bam contest like some of the others and you'll be amazed at what you hear.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

SK Member 8/11/2015
    Thanks, I mis-interpred it.

They changed the rules a bit this year to allow a little more time to set up.

I've been looking forward to Field Day—my club never even comes close to any notable level of performance but we always have a very good time.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 05-05-2013 at 06:52 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

SK Member 8/11/2015
    Yeah, I stopped by the Dekalb County club field day last year for a little while. It looked like everyone was enjoying themselfs.I wish I could have stayed longer.

Well shit, here we go again. Another upcoming contest. There go the bands. They're won't be an single open frequency. Everyone will be talking over everyone else, and I won't be able to rag chew with my modest 100 watt station, with a dipole. And they'll probably be using the WARC bands, illegally. I know most everyone will be using much more than legal power, and forging their logs. You're #5462045 and 59, next. JFC, just when you thought it couldn't get any worse. The bastids. Did I forget anything?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

We lost our Field Day site - in-laws' homestead - in 2011. Father in law passed away and the place was sold. I had enough room at their place to erect a full size 160M loop though we never did. The usual antenna layout was a vertical for 15 through 10 and dipoles/inverted vees for 20M and lower.

Several bags of military masts and related hardware now lie dormant, waiting for the proper site.

I got hold of a bunch of car antennas - 36"-40" long - which will serve as the ends of loaded Yagis for 20-15-10M. They could also be used in a 6M directional setup. Our masts can easily support such a construct - but where to put them?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    We lost our Field Day site - in-laws' homestead - in 2011. Father in law passed away and the place was sold. I had enough room at their place to erect a full size 160M loop though we never did. The usual antenna layout was a vertical for 15 through 10 and dipoles/inverted vees for 20M and lower.

Several bags of military masts and related hardware now lie dormant, waiting for the proper site.

I got hold of a bunch of car antennas - 36"-40" long - which will serve as the ends of loaded Yagis for 20-15-10M. They could also be used in a 6M directional setup. Our masts can easily support such a construct - but where to put them?

Any possibility of getting permission to use a park? Might even get some publicity. It worked of OWS.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Any possibility of getting permission to use a park? Might even get some publicity. It worked of OWS.
    Plus, you get the 100 bonus points for being in a public area.

I'll be at my usual spot - W4UNC on 40m/15m phone, QRP. Last year we had a 40m 3-el wire beam that worked great - this year the attempt is going to be to rotate the thing.

Hilarity will ensue.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry