Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best laid plans...

The best laid plans...

So, the weather is beautiful. No wind to speak of. Time to shoot some new lines into the trees before they get leafed out. The program was set to put the doublet about 30 feet or so more in the air--so that it would be at least 60' at the feed point. I mounted the new Saunders archery reel on the 2.5" connector to the tennis ball gun--loaded with 50lb Spectra line. The first discovery is that 60 psi was a bit much. It shot through the spot I wanted in the tree, over the tops of the neighbors trees, and fell into the lot of the house on the other side of him. Hmmmm. Luckily it pulled through back to my yard.

Time to pull the old line back out of the tree, and drop it in my front yard to be retied to the new line. The antenna runs over the house, so I put the weighted tennis ball on the end of the line and pulled. After catching on a small branch that gave it stored energy, the ball flew loose and did the bolo around another limb a few feet in front of it. I have cut the line off as high as I can--this has now become a permanent feature in the front yard. Maybe I could hang a bird feeder or planter from it...

Obviously this is not going anything like planned. Now I need to shoot a line over the top of the house to get to the antenna. As they say, tomorrow is another day.

Pisser. I get the picture of something like a pair of sneekers hanging over a high line. Well, at least it didn't get it stuck in the neighbors tree. You'd probably have gotten tired of him yelling at you to get your balls outta his tree.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Pisser. I get the picture of something like a pair of sneekers hanging over a high line. Well, at least it didn't get it stuck in the neighbors tree. You'd probably have gotten tired of him yelling at you to get your balls outta his tree.
    You've been on a roll lately Senor rata del desierto...
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Got a large-ish spin casting rod?
    Stop Casting Porosity!

porosity.jpg

Could have been worse, Pat: the tennis ball could have looped back and hit you upside the head. Don't ask me how I know this...
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by WU9G View Post
    Stop Casting Porosity!

porosity.jpg
    I remember that sign! Right off the Nimitz Freeway in Oakland. You could see it from the Cypress Structure, which collapsed in the '89 Loma Prieta earthquake.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 05-04-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Angrily wave a raised arm and repeat after me, "Hey you kids! Get out of here with that thing!
    Now that's what you do immediately upon discovering something is going awry while hanging wire.
    You're welcome
    Last edited by ki4itv; 05-04-2013 at 06:51 PM.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by ki4itv View Post
    Angrily wave a raised arm and repeat after me, "Hey you kids! Get out of here with that thing!
    Now that's what you do immediately upon discovering something is going awry while hanging wire.
    Your welcome
    "Hey, I would have gotten this antenna in the air if it weren't for you meddling kids..."

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I remember that sign! Right off the Nimitz Freeway in Oakland. You could see it from the Cypress Structure, which collapsed in the '89 Loma Prieta earthquake.
    We have a winner...