Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PACO E-400 joins the lineup...

PACO E-400 joins the lineup...

Another "got to have it." I worked in a TV shop in the 70s that had one of these Precision E-400 sweep/marker generators--and its complement the E-200-C signal generator. These two coupled together with the horizontal and vertical inputs on a scope made the pretty IF alignment displays one would see in the Sams or Riders.

Could not resist this refugee from a shop long shut down and now being let out to run! This is hardcore old school for alignments. With a couple external signal generators one can create whatever markers and sweep widths they choose. The crystal markers are nice too--I have a 455Khz & 3395Khz in FT-243 cases headed my way.

Thinking seriously about 50s era TV sets for fun and profit. This would come in handy in addition to the sort of receiver alignments I am going to do with this. This critter weighs in at around 16 pounds--and the chassis is copper clad. Built like a battleship... :cool2:

ON EDIT: See the little black box with the terminal posts and leading back to the generator? This is the original output cable for this--something that almost never accompanies the ones floating around for sale today. The ORIGINAL manual came with it too...

Last edited by AE1PT; 05-03-2013 at 05:53 PM.

You gonna stuff a small DTV converter inside those restored sets for a small up-charge?
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I used to have one of those when I worked on TVs back in the day, too. I think E200 was the companion RF generator. When we got the B&K 415, I thought I'd died and gone to TV repairman heaven.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

I would enjoy having the old Philco TV test set I used to have. 'Twas my first O-Scope, and I used the 455Khz generator on a lotta stuff. Learned TV repair in HS electronics, too late for a career choice. Luckily, I hung in there with magnetic recording, which led me to computers.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    I used to have one of those when I worked on TVs back in the day, too. I think E200 was the companion RF generator. When we got the B&K 415, I thought I'd died and gone to TV repairman heaven.
    The E-200-C was indeed the matching sine wave signal generator.

I know exactly what you speak with the b&k 415. Most of the shops had one. Perfect signals every time. Coupled with a b&k 1250 NTSC generator, fine stuff! I thought it could not get any better until I opened my own shop and a sweet talking Sencore rep sold me a VA48. That thing did everything except collect money from the customer...

You gonna stuff a small DTV converter inside those restored sets for a small up-charge?
    Doing that with one of the old UHF set top converter boxes would really be appropriate!

Quote Originally Posted by AE1PT View Post
    [...]I opened my own shop and a sweet talking Sencore rep sold me a VA48. That thing did everything except collect money from the customer...
    There's a used VA48 selling for eighty-five bucks on Amazon right now.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by AE1PT View Post
    The E-200-C was indeed the matching sine wave signal generator.

I know exactly what you speak with the b&k 415. Most of the shops had one. Perfect signals every time. Coupled with a b&k 1250 NTSC generator, fine stuff! I thought it could not get any better until I opened my own shop and a sweet talking Sencore rep sold me a VA48. That thing did everything except collect money from the customer...

Doing that with one of the old UHF set top converter boxes would really be appropriate!
    I used the Sencores in later life, as well. You could do a complete alignment from stem to stern in less time than it took to get the Precision, or the B&K for that matter, hooked up, stabilized, and all the fucking cables rounded up and/or fixed. Seems like one or two were always broken right at the clip or ez hook, usually from hanging off the alignment cart and being stepped on. Built in bias supplies, so you didn't have to try to locate PS sources for the tuner and IF agc circuits. And 3.58 circuits were now a walk in the park to align, and repeatable. That was the thing about Sencore, they directed their service equipment to the service industry, and didn't try to branch out in to a shit load of other markets like B&K Dynascan. I still have some very nice, later mfg Sencore stuff for AV and such. Their capacitor/inductor, and transformer/coil analyzers/ringers are very handy and very accurate.
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 05-03-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Interesting thread, this.

Pat, I recently got ahold of several Tektronix 1434 video noise generators. These are double-width TM-500 series plugins. I'm going to check out/repair all three and since I only need one in my lab, the other two will be put up for sale.

What's that? You say you need a power module to run them in? I have a spare TM503 with a couple of accessory plugins going up for sale as well.

If you're interested in any of this stuff, let me know.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Hell, I married a noise generator.

Master Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Hell, I married a noise generator.
    Any harmonics?