Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iron Man 3 or Star Trek: Into Darkness....what to see?

Iron Man 3 or Star Trek: Into Darkness....what to see?

Can only watch one of them on the big screen. I am a Trek fan so I am heavily leaning toward that film, but the Iron Man movies have been pretty darn good too.

I may be able to sneak in without the family and see them both, but with theater prices these days a trip for all of us with popcorn, soda, etc, usually sets us back nearly 100 bucks. I can go alone for under 15 most of the time, yet the womenfolk cannot go to a movie without it costing me nearly 25 bucks a head on average.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." - George Orwell

Judging by the quality of the last movies of both franchises, I would go for Star Trek: Into Darkness.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

No offense to Robert Downey Jr... but he'll wait for basic cable.

ST
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Trek. I don't normally go see too many shows at the theater. Similar situation, wife, kids, popcorn, etc. I happen to be a bachelor the weekend that Trek opens....I'll be in Arcadia doing ham radio comms in support of a bike event.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Master Navigator
    Star Trek hasn't made it down here yet. Iron Man 3 is in the theatres now -- ticket prices (in U.S. dollars) run from $2.63 to $3.95.

Although not an action flick, the most recent movie I watched was excellent. I believe it is called "The Intouchables", in English. This comedy is French, but I saw it "dubbed in Spanish", with English subtitles. Dubbed movies usually suck and subtitled movies often leave out detail. This time, I noticed something different: the English subtitles were more detailed and funnier than the Spanish-dubbed audio. Maybe it's because certain cultural references translate easier between French speakers and English speakers. Curiously, the English subtitles also retained the "dirty words", whereas the dubbed Spanish had been properly cleansed. If I ever learn French, I would love to watch this movie in its original language presentation.

Orca Whisperer
    Into the Darkness.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

i'll wait a year and see them on German commercial TV through satellite ;)
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I would bet Star Trek doesn't have anywhere near the amount of ACTION Ironman will have. I have seen most of the Star trek pix and they are all very slow going and not intense. There is good times, though, and a good story line. We already know what happens in Ironman; most likely the same that happened in 1 & 2. But we get our MONEYSWORTH out of the CG and Action scenes! I am anxious for both to come out on cable in a coupla years so I can see them on my 47 inch Flat screen and surround sound home theater system. I have double subwoofers for more house shaking effects!

Star Trek. The new Trek movie a few years ago was excellent. Traditional TOS fans might not like it, but it is true to the genre. I grew up on Marvel Comics and as good as Iron Man is, Trek will usually win (unless it's The Avengers).
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH View Post
    Star Trek. The new Trek movie a few years ago was excellent. Traditional TOS fans might not like it, but it is true to the genre. I grew up on Marvel Comics and as good as Iron Man is, Trek will usually win (unless it's The Avengers).
    I think you've put your finger on it.

We know what to expect from the rusty senior. Pretty much everything to date has been right out of the comics, almost verbatim. Some small bits of modernization, things aren't being presented in the same order, but really... same old, same old.

The new Star Trek, though... while we know the characters (we THINK we do, at least), it is NOT the same old that the great bird of the galaxy laid out almost 50 years ago. This is an entirely different 'universe'. There is no connection with the original continuity going forward... you might even say that the discontinuity starts as James Tiberius Kirk is born. So: Anything can happen. There are no guarantees.

That said, based on the trailers and ads I've seen so far... why do I have a sneaky hunch that the main villian will be (a completely different) Kahn?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati