Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: QRZ and education through bloviation.

QRZ and education through bloviation.

I find myself becoming annoyed by a certain QRZed educational technique employed by a somewhat small, yet very vocal group of hams on that site.

There are two distinct versions of this type of behavior, mostly based on whether it is a question posted in "Q&A" or a new hams thrilling accomplishment posted to "Talk & Opinions".

Q&A- One of our amateur radio brethren ask a simple or direct question to the forum.
    *The answer to this question starts off with Elmer ham(s) going through a two (or more) paragraph autobiography of accomplishments, former employers, the FCC office where they took their exams, possibly some outright embellishments, and then miraculously segways into the three sentences that actually answer the question.

T&O- An excited new (or seasoned) ham post to the forum about a new country, state, mode, a surprise band opening, or some similar "accomplishment" that we all enjoy going through. (OK admittedly, I am NOT talking about KWW here)
    *The answer to this question starts off with same ol' Elmer ham(s) going through a two (or more) paragraph autobiography of accomplishments, former employers, the FCC office where they took their exams, possibly some outright embellishments, and then miraculously segways
    into a mild congratulatory response cautiously qualified by the fact that they did it better, but faster, with lower power, and how he hasn't seen anything yet. Often just falling short of saying they have DXCC, WAZ, WAS, including WTF, on every and all possible rig/antenna combinations in their quiver.

I can't be the only one annoyed by this? I'm sure there are other stereotypes that can be formed by posters in the other forums... but, I usually stay away from the ragspew and politics forums these days.
    While I find most of the information useful and have learned a lot from cruising the Zed forums...Why all the puffery bloviation?

Thanks for letting me get all of that out. HA!

edit- Hey, nobody asked me what the Hellschreiber is the "FFC" is...this place is different! hehe.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Re: QRZ and education through bloviation.

WB2WIK should be able to explain it for you...
    My generation is now in charge.

Forum Addict

The pocket protector boy's brigade. Sift through 30 posts to get the answer to your question.

IF you can recognize it as the answer after sifting through all the crud.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

You're just jealous you didn't work for TXU (electric company for about half the state of Texas).

You really think that's something special? Ya ain't seen nuttin yet, not until you ask a question on http://www.radioreference.com a scanner site. There they have two extremes; bloviation and non answers but then again most of the questions are in the extreme; so simple a caveman can do it and so vague it's not even a question. They never heard of KISS and think it's a bunch of loud guitars and grease paint. When I'm not explaining how to make a ground plane I mostly stick to the "wasteland" which is rather like the garbage dump at the far end of the Island.

Heh, I'd post some bastardized Who lyrics about teh zed here but it's too darn hot to get flamed. :dance
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ki4itv
    *The answer to this question starts off with Elmer ham(s) going through a two (or more) paragraph autobiography of accomplishments, former employers, the FFC office where they took their exams, possibly some outright embellishments, and then miraculously segways into the three sentences that actually answer the question.
    and then the answer to the question is "no" and you had to endure all that crap just to get to the answer.

but they usually lose me one sentence into the autobio ...
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa

Heh, I'd post some bastardized Who lyrics about teh zed here but it's too darn hot to get flamed. :dance
    That's OK, I conjured one up.
    ===============

"The QRZed Hambillies"

Come and listen to a story about the QRZed
    A poor ole reflector, barely kept in check by Phred,
    Then one day he was coverin' for a fool,
    And up through the text came a bubblin crude.

Soiled that is, black gold, stinky and free.

Well the first thing you know ol Phred puts out a dare,
    Some folks said "Phred, we don't really care"
    Said "Alpha Holtel is the place we ought to be"
    So we loaded WTF and we moved to where we're free.

Alpha Hotel, that is. Swimmin pools, and small red cars.

The QRZed Hambillies!

Well now its time to say goodbye to Phred and all his kin.
    And they'd like to cuss you folks fer pointing out their sins.
    You'll never be invited back to that locality
    To have a heapin helpin of those whiney cry-babies

Hambillies that is. What's that smell? Turn the monitor off!

Y'all link back now, y'hear?.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

I LOVE IT!!!!
    Encrypt everything. Even if you have nothing to hide. It increases the noise floor.

Forum Addict

PUUUURFECT... Swimmin pools and nut jobs