Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MicroSoft Pulls Security Patch. Causes Blue Screen of Death.

MicroSoft Pulls Security Patch. Causes Blue Screen of Death.

I just did this and my computer is running faster. I was lucky, this patch killed your computer.

Tech giant Microsoft has recommended that an update released in the latest Patch Tuesday be removed, after users reported incidents of the "blue screen of death" after installation.Microsoft released two critical security updates and others rated as "important" for Windows and Internet Explorer as part of its latest round of Patch Tuesday updates.However, a number of Windows 7 users have reported issueswith security update 2823324, which is part of security bulletin MS13-036.MS13-036 was meant to fix three privately disclosed flaws and one publicly disclosed flaw in an NTFS kernel-mode driver related to the elevation of privileges when a user is logged in. However, once installed, security update 2823324 -- part of the bulletin -- may produce a "STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}" problem for users. The error occurs early in the startup process, and no Memory.dmp file is created.As a result, Microsoft has temporarily pulled the patch from its security bulletin while the issue is being investigated.

If you have this patch, this might be a good idea.

Microsoft pulls Patch Tuesday security fix

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Good find. My computer started blue screening just this week.

OS X did not notice a darn thing.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Hope I can find my damned XP install disk if I need it...
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Hope I can find my damned XP install disk if I need it...
    Just uninstall the update. Go to Windows Update, then "view update history" and on the left it should link to where you can uninstall the update.

It'll tell you to reboot and it should be fine after that. Maybe a run of CCleaner to clean up any snigglets afterwards.
    Last edited by N2NH; 04-15-2013 at 05:11 PM.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

It turns out to be a moot point. When I checked my shack computer, that particular update hadn't been installed. That's the only Windows machine out of the five I've got here. Six, if you count the tablet.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Witch Doctor
    well im fucked i installed the parch and cant even get to the altf10 point
    just get a blue screen with nothing to click on
    Sarcasm is a Body's Natural Defense Against Stupid

Finally got into the MS support page about this—I'm sure their servers are being hammered right now—and it seems that the problem only affects Win 7.

I've had this update installed since the 11th. Haven't noticed anything unusual.

Yes, I'm on Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Same OS, same non problem. EH? We're lucky I suppose.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.