Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FCC grants a waiver allowing hams to use TDMA

FCC grants a waiver allowing hams to use TDMA

At the request of the ARRL, the FCC has granted a temporary "waiver to permit amateur stations to transmit communications on amateur service channels above 30 MHz using single time-slot Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA)."

I don't know if this is a good thing or not. Anyone care to comment?

Full text available here in PDF form.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

It will be interesting to see what kind of equipment, surplus as well as new, becomes available. I'm not too sure I'm a fan of this, or not. I'll be curious to see how it shakes out.

If nothing else, it will give a whole new dimension to the whiners on the other sites. Lessseee, no code, winlink, CB, IRLP, contests, and now this? Shit, they're going to have to start a new section just to accommodate all the bitching and moaning.

I can see it now, TDMA is not real ham radio.
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 03-25-2013 at 11:05 AM.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Sorry if I just don't get it. If TDMA divides time into slots and separate the signals of different users by placing the signals in separate time slots, how is single slot any different than a standard repeater? Motorola offers a system with single slot portables and a two slot repeater, it makes sense that there may be two simultaneous users on the system and with multiple repeater slots more users may be accommodated. To me if the FCC only authorizes single slot it's useless as tits on a bull being one user at a time is no improvement in communications effectiveness and no more efficient use of spectrum.

So what about this I don't understand? BTW I see the advantage TDMA has over trunking, it uses one frequency while trunking uses several to accomplish essentially the same thing, efficient use of spectrum.

"I can see it now, TDMA is not real ham radio."

Of course not, it's 2G cell phone technology. (;->)
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Don't try to understand it. It's not ham radio, but an attempt by the clueless no-coders to recycle their old analog cell phones as talkies on our bands--bringing us all to the intelligence of CBers and the end of the world as we know it.
    Give a man a fish, and he will eat it. Teach a man to fish and he will spend lots of money on tackle...

IB4TS

(In bofore Teh Stoopid
    Encrypt everything. Even if you have nothing to hide. It increases the noise floor.

Quote Originally Posted by W7XF View Post
    IB4TS

(In bofore Teh Stoopid
    Too late.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Too late.
    i noticed
    Encrypt everything. Even if you have nothing to hide. It increases the noise floor.

Orca Whisperer
    The FCC needs to get with the times, and stop regulating by mode, and instead regulate by bandwidth of the signal. Hams should be allowed to use CDMA, TDMA, etc, as long as it's not encrypted. Narrower bandwidth signals get the lower freqs, and wider signals on the upper freqs; and spread down the middle.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

I knew a girl like that.......
    Actually the FCC already regulates by bandwidth, phone signals for example are limited by the highest audio frequency which determines occupied bandwidth. That's why the ESSB ops got busted for not keeping highs below the customary 3KHz. AM is limited to 6KHz bandwidth which makes legal ops sound kinda yellowy with that 300Hz-3KHz telephonium yawdio. When it comes to data modes, basically occupied bandwidth is a function of data rate so the upper limit is specified. This saves operators the trouble of calculating whether or not the intended data rate meets or exceeds the bandwidth limits. Bandwidth is not specified on the microwave bands so progressive packet nodes/BBSes use high speed microwave forwarding links.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Huh? Show me where ESSB ops with a wide clean signal get busted? Many AM folks run 12 Khz wide. I have run 6khz wide with a clean signal, but only if I don't bother the "neighbors". I use the panadaptor view on the Flex, so I can see what is going on.

Don't do it often, as it's not efficient. 4Khz gives me a great "HiFi Voodoo" sound, but I usually run at about 2khz wide +/-, especially if I am not running an amp, tailored to my voice characteristics. If I'm ragchewing with an ESSB group I will bring up problems with other's wide signals... too much bass is stupid, unless you sound like Harvey Fierstein.

http://youtu.be/5D_vvsiJUxw

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman