Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CB 2013

CB 2013

What's new?

Uniden is now Uniden Bearcat. A CB XCVR for less than $30? At the time of this posting, yes.

LINK HERE.

Walkie-Talkie (It's CB so it's a Walkie-Talkie). Midland 75 822 -they're still using numbered models for $68+

LINK HERE.

AM/SSB is not as popular as it was. Few radios are out there. Here is the Uniden Bearcat model.

LINK HERE.

Last edited by N2NH; 03-12-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Changed "Bobcat" to "Bearcat". Had rocks in head at time of posting.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    I don't listen much down there, just occasionally on 27.025 to check propagation.

Are there still a lot of freebanders? Used to here them all the time in the eighties.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

The entire 25-28MHz region is filled with them when a band opening is occurring.

More later - 'this hard to post from a mobile screen.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH View Post
    What's new?

Uniden is now Uniden Bobcat. A CB XCVR for less than $30? At the time of this posting, yes.

LINK HERE.

Walkie-Talkie (It's CB so it's a Walkie-Talkie). Midland 75 822 -they're still using numbered models for $68+

LINK HERE.

AM/SSB is not as popular as it was. Few radios are out there. Here is the Uniden Bobcat model.

LINK HERE.

Pretty slick. Wonder why no AM? I still hear nothing but AM around here.
    Last edited by w2amr; 03-12-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by w2amr View Post
    Pretty slick. Wonder why no AM? I still hear nothing but AM around here.
    Read more. It has AM.

Expounding a bit on my comments above:

AM/SSB is not as popular as it was.
    From a social interaction/party line standpoint the entire CB scene isn't as popular as it once was (thank you Compuserve and the Internet in general) but it still has a core group of users. Of which U.S. truckers are a dwindling quantity, having become disgusted at the outlandish and at times vulgar scene which they helped to create.

Few radios are out there.
    Let's just say few new legal (Class D certificated) sets are out there. Go to eBay and you'll find a ton of decent used equipment being sold...and not to the same buyer.

Receiver-wise, select older gear is capable of performance which exceeds that of any new models issuing forth from the likes of Connex, Ranger and Magnum. The Cobra 148/2000GTL, its Uniden Madison counterpart, the Stoner Pro-40 and the CPI rigs still fetch premium prices - even though none of them offer such niceties as echo, talkback and FM/CW modes.

I currently use a CP2000 and BC2000 base console for any 11M transmission work alongside a collection of general coverage receivers for monitoring that part of the HF spectrum. The CPI's receiver is just as hot and just as selective as any of my higher-end amateur equipment. I'll guarantee it's a lot better in terms of adjacent channel rejection than any current legal CB or "export model 10M radio" on the market.

Speaking of ham gear: That's probably why you don't see more new models of CB equipment, especially base rigs. SSB 'enthusiasts' are simply buying and converting amateur transceivers for use in the Class D allocation as well as the so-called freeband areas.

(As an example - For SSB-only 11M use, an FT-726R with an HF module installed makes a darn nice setup. You get a great receiver, 10W PEP output, 15M-12M-26-30MHz coverage...plus any two ranges from 6M-4M-2M-430Mhz-440MHz. The CB manufacturers only wish they could build something this good at a similar price point.)

With regards to activity, I'm listening to 38LSB at the moment and there's a ton of it. In times past, AM was the universally agreed-upon mode for anything below CH1 while SSB (usually LSB) got the nod for the gap from CH40 to the bottom edge of 10M. This structure is loosely adhered to even today but I hear an increasing amount of FM and SSB in the 25-27MHz space. Conversely, more folk are observed using USB and AM in the "10.5M gap" these days.

For nostalgia's sake try tuning CH5 (27.015) some time where there's a band opening to the SW. It's the Mexican/Latin American trucker channel and it sounds a lot like U.S. CH19 did back in the boom days.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Expounding a bit on my comments above:

From a social interaction/party line standpoint the entire CB scene isn't as popular as it once was (thank you Compuserve and the Internet in general) but it still has a core group of users. Of which U.S. truckers are a dwindling quantity, having become disgusted at the outlandish and at times vulgar scene which they helped to create.

Let's just say few new legal (Class D certificated) sets are out there. Go to eBay and you'll find a ton of decent used equipment being sold...and not to the same buyer.

Receiver-wise, select older gear is capable of performance which exceeds that of any new models issuing forth from the likes of Connex, Ranger and Magnum. The Cobra 148/2000GTL, its Uniden Madison counterpart, the Stoner Pro-40 and the CPI rigs still fetch premium prices - even though none of them offer such niceties as echo, talkback and FM/CW modes.

I currently use a CP2000 and BC2000 base console for any 11M transmission work alongside a collection of general coverage receivers for monitoring that part of the HF spectrum. The CPI's receiver is just as hot and just as selective as any of my higher-end amateur equipment. I'll guarantee it's a lot better in terms of adjacent channel rejection than any current legal CB or "export model 10M radio" on the market.

Speaking of ham gear: That's probably why you don't see more new models of CB equipment, especially base rigs. SSB 'enthusiasts' are simply buying and converting amateur transceivers for use in the Class D allocation as well as the so-called freeband areas.

(As an example - For SSB-only 11M use, an FT-726R with an HF module installed makes a darn nice setup. You get a great receiver, 10W PEP output, 15M-12M-26-30MHz coverage...plus any two ranges from 6M-4M-2M-430Mhz-440MHz. The CB manufacturers only wish they could build something this good at a similar price point.)

With regards to activity, I'm listening to 38LSB at the moment and there's a ton of it. In times past, AM was the universally agreed-upon mode for anything below CH1 while SSB (usually LSB) got the nod for the gap from CH40 to the bottom edge of 10M. This structure is loosely adhered to even today but I hear an increasing amount of FM and SSB in the 25-27MHz space. Conversely, more folk are observed using USB and AM in the "10.5M gap" these days.

For nostalgia's sake try tuning CH5 (27.015) some time where there's a band opening to the SW. It's the Mexican/Latin American trucker channel and it sounds a lot like U.S. CH19 did back in the boom days.
    Very interesting. Thanks for that.

When I first started listening to CB and the freeband in 1981, there was a lot of SSB activity on channel 32-40 and of course, the freeband. The English speakers almost always used LSB. USB was reserved for channels 15 and 16.

I lost interest because they wouldn't always identify. At least with ham radio ops, you could look them up with their callsign.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Read more. It has AM.
    Oh ok, I see it now.

before i got licenced. i was on cb. course around here if you wasn't using an "export" radio you had junk. I think everyone had 2980,2517,saturn,dx99,dx88's

we also used ch 33 FM
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Another tidbit:

In the early 90s - right before the Internet sprung on the masses - there was a growing group of packet-radio BBSes set up on 27.540 - 300-baud LSB. Many of these were run by amateur radio operators whose country-specific regulations were a lot more open than those set forth by the FCC - particularly where 3rd-party traffic was concerned. Thus, in addition to regular ham traffic one could catch messages from the likes of USA1NY, USA6CA, EUR1GB and many other similar "calls" being forwarded through the packet radio network. This caused U.S.-based SysOps a good bit of grief as we tried to implement bit-bucket filters which would effectively squelch the stuff.

I used to have many tens of megabytes of recorded BBS, KB-KB and beacon traffic gathered from intercepts on the frequency. Though I never heard the activity myself, I understand 26.600 and thereabouts was popular with the 1200-baud FM crowd.

Those few U.S. stations which decided to give the frequency a go were soon accosted by the FCC, but I have a feeling that the Internet - not Gettysburg - ultimately sounded the death knell for bootleg packet radio. It's been years since I caught anything there.