Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Regarding the Washington, DC NFL Franchise Nickname...

Regarding the Washington, DC NFL Franchise Nickname...

The owners & management over the Washington, DC NFL Franchise are in Federal Trademark court, again.

Over their use of the term "Redskins" as the team's offical nickname. Again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-name-goes-before-federal-trademark-board-but-for-this-writer-theres-no-debate/2013/03/10/6e64c508-8906-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394_story.html

They lost the last time (1999) and got it overturned on a technicalilty. They might not be so fortunate this time around.

But, you know, there's a real simple solution to the issue.

Just rename the team. Call them The Washington Potatoes.

Then, you can call them the Red Skins all you want, with no racial overtones...

(ducking & hidng now)
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Beats the NY Titans (or the Tits), the Houston Colt 45's or the Kentucky Colonels (ABA).

I say we give Peas a chance. The Washington Peas.
    Last edited by N2NH; 03-14-2013 at 10:37 AM.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    The nickname is an obscenity. We don't teams called the New York Jews or the Atlanta Negros. They should change the name of the Washington team and be done with it.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WU9G View Post
    The nickname is an obscenity. We don't teams called the New York Jews or the Atlanta Negros.
    It's even worse than that. "Redskins" is a pejorative so it would be more accurate to say New York K---s or Atlanta N----rs. There are a lot of Chinese in San Francisco so how about we call the team the SF C---ks?

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    It's even worse than that. "Redskins" is a pejorative so it would be more accurate to say New York K---s or Atlanta N----rs. There are a lot of Chinese in San Francisco so how about we call the team the SF C---ks?
    Yep, exactly. I did sugarcoat it a bit. Yet there are people who will defend this kind of crap to the death.

It's no surprise that one of the executives on the Washington team is Bruce Allen, son of Coach Allen and brother of reactionary ex-Senator Allen who famously had a Confederate flag in his office while he was a Senator.

I almost used the SF example, but I had in mind the SF F.....s. talk about offensive.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

"...and brother of reactionary ex-Senator Allen..."

Sounds like Senator Beauregard Claghorn of Allen's Alley; "Somebody, ah say, somebody knocked! Claghorn's the name, Senator Claghorn, that is. I'm from the South. Suh."
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

I almost used the SF example, but I had in mind the SF F.....s. talk about offensive.
    I kind of hate to say this but The Frisco F--s has a nice, alliterative ring to it.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

The nickname is an obscenity. We don't teams called the New York Jews or the Atlanta Negros. They should change the name of the Washington team and be done with it.
    I don't disagree with you. But the ownership and the NFL don't see it that way. If anything, they claim (privately) that people are being too "sensitive" and that this is "political correctness run amuck." [Again, I think they're wrong... but that's what they've been known to say]

I'm surprised that there hasn't been as big a fuss, lately, over the names of the Cleveland and Atlanta baseball teams. Especially when they use those cartoon stereotypical caricatures as some of their emblems.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

Banned
    Who would forget the Green Bay Ho_kers? Aw. Just pokin' fun.

Well, you know, the original nickname for Green Bay was the Green Bay Meat Packers.

I always asked "what kind of meat, and where did they pack it?" (double entendre's intended)

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!