Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlas V Launch - 1:02pm EST

Crap! I finally see a thread on this before the launch and it is totally overcast for hundreds of miles around.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

I have no idea if anyone ever cares about these launches.. but I do.. so I try to post them.

Well, there she goes!!!!!..

Correction. That mother is out of here!
    Last edited by WA4TM; 02-11-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    I have no idea if anyone ever cares about these launches.. but I do.. so I try to post them.
    I caught the shuttle in orbit a few times when I was on Long Island and they said it'd be overhead. I also saw a launch in the 70s when I was out on Long Island. Last time was in Kissimmee, where I caught a shuttle launch from 90 miles away. If you listened, you could even hear it.

Ah, I see there's a slightly bigger problem. She's being launched from the West and to the SSW. Looks like a polar orbit.
    Last edited by N2NH; 02-11-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by W4GPL View Post
    Yep, I do. Watch(ed/ing) this one now.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Late for the show, but I still like this stuff. Thanks
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH View Post
    Crap! I finally see a thread on this before the launch and it is totally overcast for hundreds of miles around.
    It launched from Vandenberg AFB so you wouldn't have seen much anyway. Went out to see if I could see anything since it appeared from the on-board video that the rocket went in this general direction but it was so high up by the time it got here that I saw nothing.

As much as I dislike having to work the night shift, it's not completely without compensating benefits like this. Sure wish I'd had an opportunity to be at Cape Canaveral to watch one of those huge Saturn V rockets go off, though. That really must have been something to see.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 02-11-2013 at 01:19 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Having grown up near the space coast in FL, I can tell you.. unless you're < 20 miles away, it's better on TV. :)

The only thing I've ever seen from out here, is some cool early morning sunlight reflections off the rocket vapor trails from launches from White Sands; and of course the alien ships and stuff.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL