Thread: Yeah, bought a new Yaesu FT DX 10....

Yeah, bought a new Yaesu FT DX 10....

The FT 991 A is now 3 years old and (ab)used well, time to add to the Icom IC 9700 the FT DX 10, though about the 101 but there is no real estate here for that bigger radio in/on he cabinet in the livingroom...
    OK, time for a new steep learning curve when it arrives...
    Last edited by PA5COR; 03-27-2024 at 01:53 PM.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

All op 10 on that list will be about the same in receive too little difference to notice, i have decent antenna's but not a large antenna farm outside the city...
    Here in the European part lots of hams active so selectivity is paramount as is good noise reduction.
    Both those boxes ticked in the FT DX 10.
    Will be here in 2 weeks or so, shop has holiday, time to see how to set up the radio for FT 8 etc and mike equalizer....
    Last edited by PA5COR; 03-27-2024 at 02:51 PM.
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I'm just not quite to the point of buying a new radio but I certainly am watching what all you rich guys' experience is with these new rigs is like, so when time is right, I have some unbiased feedback.

Congratulations Cor, I hope it kicks radio ass for you.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Not rich, just have some money left when the month is over, and careful planning for my pension funds.
    WE pay in 50 years for the state pension which is generous and add my own pension i saved up makes it possible to live well as intended, leading to a well filled savings account.
    Can't take it with me so better use it ;), i live quite frugal for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    <snip> but I certainly am watching what all you rich guys' experience is with these new rigs is like, so when time is right, I have some unbiased feedback.

Congratulations Cor, <snip>
    Yes, Congratulations Cor!

Now as for that rich guys comment ...

Let it be known that, I use homebrewed wire antennas, exclusively. However, if I did have a big tower, I'd probably hang wires off of it. I'd also pressure myself to decide on a manufactured antenna for a single band to place top dead center of the tower. I'd want something small so, 6m?

Cor, what is on your antenna farm currently?

Hermes Lite 2.

And one of my known associates reported that he modded an ALS-1306 with new output devices which enable a clean 1800w PEP out; this with a padding network in place. If removing the pad allows a Hermes 5-7w drive to make legal limit, I may have found my next project.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Antenna's here Frizel FD-4 1500 watt OCF at 43 feet up. ( 80 to 6 meter)
    Imax 2000 for 10/12/15, Vertical behind he house in repair 60 feet up inverted l for 160 and up wih MFJ 998 Legal limit Autotuner and 3000 feet wire in he ground for radials.
    For VHF/UHF Diamond X 7000 vertical, Horizontal dipoles for 2/70/23 cm.
    Heathkit, SB 1000, new 3 - 500 ZG With graphite anode.
    IC 9700 All mode 2/70 23 cm.
    Might get some beams up for that though i worked 1500 km with the current antenna's with the ic 9700.
    Living on the edge of he city i have still low noise here S3 80, s1 40 rest up S0.
    On 160 when he inverted L is back up noise is higher S7 ...
    All services like electricity, telephome, internet underground no overhead cables here...might explain low noise.
    Last edited by PA5COR; 03-28-2024 at 01:26 AM.

Well, radio set up, some initial settings for audio tx might be fine tuned, digital modes working WSJT-X, running 50 watts in digital, radio stays cold.
    Yes did he testing of the receiver and all noise fighting tools and it is good.
    The FT 991 A wasn't bad either, but this is another step up, certainly here in the E.U. where wall to wall signals are more he norm as exception.
    Separating an weak station from between 2 strong ones is exceptional.
    2 amps in receive so taking it out on battery you might do a rethink.
    screen fantastic, crisp, clear nothing to complain on.
    Bit bigger as my IC 9700 though.
    Well build, quality shines off he knobs, front and build.
    Few niggles as with all transceivers, some buttons close to he vfo knob, gets used to that...