Page 128 of 353 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178228 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 3526

Thread: We Could Talk About The Weather

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    No rain for 2 weeks?

Ya pussy......
    Going on three!

Up here that's very unusual at this time of year. We usually get a storm every day or two with thermals coming off the Catskills and Gunks. That has been true since pre-colonial times. So... nearly 3 weeks may not be Southwestern drought weather, but it's long for us. Look at it like this, the last drought we had up here lasted a decade. Because of its effects on the region, particularly in the Eastern 2/3rds of New York State and Eastern Pennsylvania, it is one of the worst droughts in recorded history.

I think the Southwest gets droughts like this on a cyclical basis. The Arizona cliff dwellers were thought to have to abandoned their homes because of drought.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Perhaps as it passes the hot ocean waters around Long Island it will become a full category 5 hurricane turn inland and wipe out all; of NYC and the surrounding regions. Ad just think, if it becomes a huge storm like Sandy was or even bigger it may hit the entire state very hard, from the Long Island shores through upstate NY for the Canadian borders and West out to Buffalo and well beyond. Imagine everything wiped out for hundreds of miles.

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH View Post
    I think the Southwest gets droughts like this on a cyclical basis. The Arizona cliff dwellers were thought to have to abandoned their homes because of drought.
    Although we are currently in a drought, it's normal for us to go from late May through October without any rain at all.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Perhaps as it passes the hot ocean waters around Long Island it will become a full category 5 hurricane turn inland and wipe out all; of NYC and the surrounding regions. Ad just think, if it becomes a huge storm like Sandy was or even bigger it may hit the entire state very hard, from the Long Island shores through upstate NY for the Canadian borders and West out to Buffalo and well beyond. Imagine everything wiped out for hundreds of miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by N2NKW View Post
    Yeah. Me too. :twisted:
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Going on three!

Up here that's very unusual at this time of year. We usually get a storm every day or two with thermals coming off the Catskills and Gunks. That has been true since pre-colonial times. So... nearly 3 weeks may not be Southwestern drought weather, but it's long for us. Look at it like this, the last drought we had up here lasted a decade. Because of its effects on the region, particularly in the Eastern 2/3rds of New York State and Eastern Pennsylvania, it is one of the worst droughts in recorded history.

When I was a kid, we used to get thunderstorms almost daily this time of year, too. My mom used to let me go out and ride my bike in it, as long as I held a nine iron up in the air.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    When I was a kid, we used to get thunderstorms almost daily this time of year, too. My mom used to let me go out and ride my bike in it, as long as I held a nine iron up in the air.
    Maybe that's what happened to the Arizona Cliff Dwellers.
    --Philip K. Dick

Maybe that's what happened to the Arizona Cliff Dwellers.
    Don't be absurd—the nine iron hadn't been invented yet. They used a Niblick.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Don't be absurd—the nine iron hadn't been invented yet. They used a Niblick.
    A Mashie Niblick? They were very advanced. Personally I'd use my woodie.

FER DOOMSAYER IZE:

Hurricane Sandy's waves, driving rain and wind weren't the only things doing damage to the New York region last October: Researchers say that the hurricane was strong enough to register on seismometers—which are used to measure earthquake magnitudes—as far away as the West coast.
    "We detected seismic waves created by the ocean's waves both hitting the East coast and smashing into each other," Keith Koper, director of the University of Utah's seismograph stations, said in a released statement. According to Koper, the so-called "microseisms"—small waves of seismic energy—were strong enough to register as about a magnitude 3 earthquake.

Koper said that Hurricane Sandy did not register as an "earthquake," but that its waves was powerful enough to shake the ground, much like an earthquake does. Koper and his colleague, Oner Sufri, presented preliminary findings of their research at the Seismological Society of America's annual meeting in Salt Lake City Thursday.
    Think of this in advance of Arthur. ;)

LINKINATION
    Last edited by N2NH; 07-02-2014 at 11:02 AM.
    --Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by N2NKW View Post
    It's no joke. Imagine a massive Cat 5 hurricane wiping out not just an entire coastline but wiping everything out up to several hundred or even a thousand miles inland. Nothing spared. It would take decades to recover. Most places along the coast would have to be abandoned permanently. It would change the way we live in the entire country. The scary part is, it can happen, and climate change is making it likely it will become the new normal.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

It's no joke. Imagine a massive Cat 5 hurricane wiping out not just an entire coastline but wiping everything out up to several hundred or even a thousand miles inland. Nothing spared. It would take decades to recover. Most places along the coast would have to be abandoned permanently. It would change the way we live in the entire country. The scary part is, it can happen, and climate change is making it likely it will become the new normal.
    And it cant happen soon enough! Once/if that happens, all the problems like political fighting, gay bashing, religious hysteria and all the inane bullshit that people use to justify behaving badly goes away for a little while and the human race can once again act like like humans.

We need a wakeup call. 9/11 was a glimmer of one but not enough to get the job done. Haiti was the same as was Japan. Once again not enough to take attention away from the total bullshit that humanity's existence has become.

And its not my intention to derail the thread . Just posting my true opinion. Feel free to make another thread if anyone wants to debate. I probly wont participate cuz my opinions are that and not subject to change... Lol