Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
Regional Rhetoric

I don't know where you reside but, where I live, around this time of year, the local weather-caster/Meteorologist start up with this "White Christmas" weather forecast bull crap.

Let me tell you why, "The White Christmas" dream is really a nightmare.

A few years back, we had a snowfall leading up to and on X-mas Day covering the Mid-west, the Middle Atlantic states, East Coast and, New England; Air Traffic was snarled with countless delays and canceled flights.

Driving to see relatives locally was almost like being on a Billiards Table with hundreds of accidents and fender-benders.

Do they dream of "White Christmas" in Southern California, Arizona, Florida?

Does Europe give a flop about Bing Crosby, the movie named, "Holiday Inn" or that song, "Dreaming of a White Christmas"?

I've now found it best, when I watch the local news programs, to MUTE the weather forecaster on my favorite channel; all she does is drone on over and over about numbers that are self-explanatory on the TV screen and, she throws the 'White Christmas' crap in there.

/click mute

Well, figure it like this. The song "White Christmas" was written to romanticize the times long before there were airports, air travel, cars, etc. Travel in winter involved hitching the horses to the sleigh and then traveling down the road to the neighboring farm where you go together with a few locals to celebrate the holiday. (or for non-Cheechakos maybe hitching the dog team to the sled or putting on the snow shoes and walking). Of course those folks who lived then probably considered it a PITA to travel through snow as well. But it's human nature to romanticize things when we look into that mirror to the past.