Page 82 of 351 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast

Thread: We Could Talk About The Weather

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I've been wearing shorts all day long lately.
    It started off quite cold here around Thanksgiving.and continued on into december. Then a couple weeks ago it got warm and I was even running the air conditioner. Then it got cold again. Now it's about 9 deg F outside with complete white out conditions. You can't see an inch in front of you and snow is piling up fast in the face of extremely heavy wind gusts causing huge drifts. Friend of mine in Brooklyn called earlier. It is even more severe there. Already 2-3 feet of snow and piling up blocking doorways with cross winds in excess of 90.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Yay! 22º now with a high predicted of 38º!
    Next Tuesday the high is supposed to be 30º with a low of 19º!
    Not stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Yay! 22º now with a high predicted of 38º!
    Next Tuesday the high is supposed to be 30º with a low of 19º!
    Not stoked.
    currently -6 here (yes 6 below zero) with 6.5" of snow.. oh and next tuesday... low -20. high wont even touch 0

Yeah, supposed to be warmer in Chicago next few days. -10º

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Yeah, supposed to be warmer in Chicago next few days. -10º
    I think our High temp monday will be -11F they did chill a bit on the snow totals for sunday.. originally they were saying 12-24" now 6-12"

But current temp.. -7

Last night lows were originally 15, then changed to 13, then 11. It was 4 degrees at 5 am. Balmy 9 degrees now. Tonight lows: -10 to -25, cold that hasn't been seen in 30 years will occur from now and next week.

Quote Originally Posted by N1LAF View Post
    Last night lows were originally 15, then changed to 13, then 11. It was 4 degrees at 5 am. Balmy 9 degrees now. Tonight lows: -10 to -25, cold that hasn't been seen in 30 years will occur from now and next week.
    Yeah were going to have cold like we have not seen since 1994. I remember it well to.. had to wait for a damn school bus for 20mins in -36F with a 30MPH N.NW wind.

12 degrees C above 0 and sunny, though a next storm comes from the UK with gusts up to 80 miles per hour, heavy rain and thunderstorm, the 6th in 7 weeks....
    All europe boasting too hot temps, even up in the north lapland sweden etc record high temps for this time of the year.
    Long range forecasts keep it like this to the end of the month....
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

welp looks like low temp was -8.8F/-22.67C

"Friend of mine in Brooklyn called earlier. It is even more severe there. Already 2-3 feet of snow and piling up blocking doorways with cross winds in excess of 90."

Brooklyn is a notoriously tough borough, but it's the wind driven drifts that piled up that deep and the wind didn't reach 90mph gusts. The weather services said differently, somebody is exaggerating. Here the day after with the wind calmed down and snow tapering off we got a few inches with mild drifts. The plows are out as are a few brave souls, I'm hibernating in my bear cave with no plans to forage for food for the time being with temperatures cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

Get your minds out of the gutter, a brass monkey was the rack that held cannonballs on a British Man O' War. Iron and brass have different temperature coefficients, so the iron shrank more than the brass and the balls fell out. That's the best time to attack, when the sailors are running around chasing their balls. (Maybe I should take my own advice?)
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 01-03-2014 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.