Page 217 of 351 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219227267317 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 3505

Thread: We Could Talk About The Weather

For you guys along NC and Virginia coastline, if it looks as if there is a "point of no return" with this one, I would leave... especially if flooding and the surge start to hit. If you are down by the VA Beach, area and it heads that way... get out of there at the soonest!
    WVM
    Kilo Zero West Virginia Mountaineer

Chad Eagle
    Ogden, UT
    Montani Semper Liberi - "Mountaineers Are Always Free"
    June 20, 1863

That is all!

Here is a video of a sample of what happened with NYC transit during the last Hurricane Sandy. Trains were actually lifted vie derrick and transferred to high capacity flatbed trucks to bring in shuttle service to the most devastated areas. It was brutal, time consuming and backbreaking work but the MTA managed not only to provide "rescue service" but to get lines up and running ahead of anticipated scheduling. I hope and pray that Hurricane Joachim isn't as bad as Sandy and hopefully it won't follow the same track. Still, here in the New York Metro area we are well braced for the worst. And even if it doesn't pack the punch of Sandy they say it will still cause flooding in coastal and low lying areas. That's why I am taking the time and getting prepped and ready in the event we do get a worst case scenario.

I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

May not be quite as bad as it was forecast to be yesterday but you're still going to get a lot of rain. We're having flood warnings in effect until 8pm Monday with severe localized flooding due to the fact that the rain making clouds will be passing through so slowly. It is at this time being called a 1500 year rain event with forecast rain of up to 15 inches for west central South Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    May not be quite as bad as it was forecast to be yesterday but you're still going to get a lot of rain. We're having flood warnings in effect until 8pm Monday with severe localized flooding due to the fact that the rain making clouds will be passing through so slowly. It is at this time being called a 1500 year rain event with forecast rain of up to 15 inches for west central South Carolina.
    I hope not as bad. We can do without the extreme winds that were the hallmark of Sandy in my area. Nonetheless, even without major tide swells or winds the heavy rain will cause a lot of localized flooding as rivers crest and low lying land fills up with water. Still not a good thing. Hopefully after this mess we can proceed too a normal autumn and winter season. But remember, there could be more. sandy hit at the end of October into the beginning of November. In the next 5 weeks anything can happen.

In the meantime the weather here is finally getting great. Yesterday and today daytime highs were only in the 50's. For the first time in months I wore a long sleeved shirt. Overnight it went down into the 40's. No need for running any air conditioners or fans. Had the window of my home office open all through the night and it's 47 deg F outside and a nice comfortable 61 F deg. inside. We had a rather hot August and all of September was pretty hot and humid. Now that October has arrived it feels as if the autumn weather is finally taking hold.
    Last edited by n2ize; 10-02-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Forum Addict
    IT GON RAIN
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Forecast track now moves Joacquin more northeast than previous models had it going. Great news for those along the east coast.

...but...

We could certainly use a bit of rain. I haven't had to cut the grass since early August. The ground is dry...so dry that when I was splitting wood with a maul in the back yard and gouged the surface the topsoil underneath the grass was powdery.

This weekend we're forecast to get some - maybe from the system which is inundating Charles's area - but I doubt it'll do much good for the lawns this year.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Yesterday started one of our famous coastal gales, or nor'easters as we old timers call them, so I just battened down the hatches for the duration. Fathead Christie aka Mr. Creosote is playing Sunshine Superman again declaring a state of emergency and spouting one "I hope" and "I will" after another as expected. We're well used to New Jersey weather and what comes with it but there's unfortunately no way of getting used to HIM, the hurricane will pass offshore and with the nor'easter a blowin' we'll never notice it or the wind out of Trenton if we leave the TV off.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Charles and anyone else in SC, you guys okay?

It's not quite time to break out the ark but I understand that point isn't too far off.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

The Upstate didn't get hit nearly as hard as the areas around Columbia and Charleston. The spinning action from the 2 ridges surrounding it made the whole rain track tilt from a diagonal path which lead some of it directly towards us to a horizontal path sending most of the heavier moisture south of us.

It is non event enough that Jim Cantore left Greenville yesterday and went to Charleston. Yesterday he was standing on the foot bridge in Falls Park which crosses over the Reedy River in downtown Greenville. Yeah the river looked rough but it never turned in the drama he gets paid to goo over.