Page 144 of 351 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194244 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 3505

Thread: We Could Talk About The Weather

We're Toast

The Old Farmer's Almanac has just come out with the forecast for the Northeast. More of last winter this winter.

Endless storms with arctic cold courtesy of the Polar Vortex...

Oh, well, hope the heater (which isn't working yet) holds out...
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH View Post
    The Old Farmer's Almanac has just come out with the forecast for the Northeast. More of last winter this winter.
    Given the historical accuracy of Old Farmer's Almanac weather predictions (around 50%, same as random guessing), I wouldn't sweat it.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 08-28-2014 at 12:21 AM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Given the historical accuracy of Old Farmer's Almanac weather predictions (around 50%, same as random guessing), I wouldn't sweat it.
    yep, the old farmers almanac's predictions don;t stand up any better than random noise. Still, I hope they are correct. We can use another cold long winter this year.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

We've had a perfect summer. Highs in the upper 70s to low 80s, nights in the upper 40s to low 50s. Humid only in the early morning when the dew falls otherwise incredibly dry. WTF? Is this San Diego? Where's Summer???
    Coming to an end. Sounds typical for the mountains of upstate NY.Warm days, cool nights. My brother lives 45-50 minutes north of me (technically he's not even in the mountains) and that's typical for summer in his area. While we are having blazing heat and humidity down here he's having much cooler and dryer weather up there. If you love hazy hot humid summer weather you moved to the wrong place. You should have gone further south.

From the article:
    Just how accurate are te Almanac’s past predictions? Over 80 percent.
    But I believe you're right Carl. If El Niño ever gets off of it's arse and does it's normal gig, we should be A-OK this Winter. Highs in the 40s with some snow but manageable. Back in '12, we were in the upper 90s and lower 100s up here. That was summer. Hurricane Sandy FUBAR'd everything with a late October snowstorm. I hope Scotland is the exception and not the rule...
    Last edited by N2NH; 08-28-2014 at 07:09 AM.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

When I was living in Brooklyn a normal summer was in the 100's. My friend up in the Adirondacks has been seeing temps in the 100's to 120's this year. We have been having average temps 30+ degrees lower down here this summer. Strange that this summer the north was much hotter than the south. We haven't even had a severe thunderstorm warning or a tornado watch this summer. However, I am expecting a very severe hurricane to hit Eastern NYC at the very beginning of November. It will be twice the size of Sandy and at least a category 5 or 6.

Leaves started falling from one of the trees here today. Brown ones. Does this mean fall is arriving? In August?
    --Philip K. Dick

At best they are about as good as a coin flip. Actually a coin flip would be an improvement.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/Jef...armers-almanac.
    Last edited by n2ize; 08-31-2014 at 03:20 AM.

Leaves started falling from one of the trees here today. Brown ones. Does this mean fall is arriving? In August?
    Could mean the tree is sick or dying. Happened here twice. next season the tree had to be cut down.

It might be that you and the dog need to find something else to piss on.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL