Page 58 of 354 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: We Could Talk About The Weather

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    100.000's Germans will invade the country for their annual holliday going to the North Sea coast, the same number of Dutch will set off to France in their cars/campers.
    Just as long as they don't bring their tanks with them...

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Temps will go up to 32 to 36 C this week humidity is quite high so i have no idea how high the "feeling" temps will be...
    Try this site. They give the real feel (or Temperature-Humidity Index) with the Temperature in oC/oF.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

^Thanks ;)
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Just bringing you up to speed, yesterday a CSX garbage train derailed on the Metro North Hudson Line and service remains suspended today. Possibly rail heat kinks? I doubt the public will know since the reporters hardly know which end is up. Con Edison, NYC's electric company reported the highest demand EVER today and again today power went out in Queens due to overhead lines catching fire, melting and falling. WIRES MELTING??? I've never in my life heard of overhead wires melting but considering the amps and the inability to dissipate heat normally in these high ambient temperatures "because anything can happen in New York". That's an old Channel 7 Action News tag line. Did I say it's 97 here on the shoreline? Add 3 and you have the temperature at Newark, NJ but subtract 2 being the airport is a heat island consistently 2 degrees hotter than Central Park in the heart of Manhattan with those heat absorbing concrete canyons.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Just bringing you up to speed, yesterday a CSX garbage train derailed on the Metro North Hudson Line and service remains suspended today. Possibly rail heat kinks? I doubt the public will know since the reporters hardly know which end is up. Con Edison, NYC's electric company reported the highest demand EVER today and again today power went out in Queens due to overhead lines catching fire, melting and falling. WIRES MELTING??? I've never in my life heard of overhead wires melting but considering the amps and the inability to dissipate heat normally in these high ambient temperatures "because anything can happen in New York". That's an old Channel 7 Action News tag line. Did I say it's 97 here on the shoreline? Add 3 and you have the temperature at Newark, NJ but subtract 2 being the airport is a heat island consistently 2 degrees hotter than Central Park in the heart of Manhattan with those heat absorbing concrete canyons.
    Thanks. I have been avoiding the news and am the happier for it. So, we are cut off from NYC and I'm thinking that's a good thing. Must be one heck of a smell to it. If it's in a very trendy/upscale area they must be raising a big stink.

As far as overhead wires (catenary), melting? Unlikely. Sagging more likely and they can snag at times, probably to deferred loco maintenance, but I'm no expert on that.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

They can melt once they short and start arcing. Pole tops will also burn once the wood carbonizes and forms a conductive path. The hot arc is what causes the aluminum to melt and even vapourize. Copper will also do the same but most overhead wires today are aluminum.

My computer widget is showing me a temp of only 88 at JFK right now and 92 in White Plains, although the predicted temps are up near 99-101. The widget updates every 5 minutes so it should be accurate, assuming the thermometer sending the data is accurate.

In Point Barrow Alaska it's warm as well right now. 43 degrees and rainy. Damned hot northern summers !!
    Last edited by n2ize; 07-19-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

"So, we are cut off from NYC and I'm thinking that's a good thing."
    Not entirely, only the trains. Yeah, if the bridges fall and the city loses it's anchors and floats out to sea nobody in Jersey will miss it.

"Must be one heck of a smell to it."
    That was mentioned on the news by one of the workers.

"If it's in a very trendy/upscale area they must be raising a big stink."
    I don't know if this is trendy or not but I can guarantee that in this heat garbage AND people get pretty stinking.

"As far as overhead wires (catenary), melting?"
    No, I never said catenary was melting, a GG-1 draws 4.95MW for example and it never melted. I said it was sagging in the heat as it always does, trains slowed to avoid pantograph from snagging the overheads and ripping them down.

"They can melt once they short and start arcing. Pole tops will also burn once the wood carbonizes and forms a conductive path."
    I've seen plenty of both but neither happened in Queens, the wires got so hot the insulation caught fire and the additional heat parted the wires. The 115-230V single phase secondaries are often twisted trios so they arced and burned through, the 2400/4800V 600A three phase primaries are insulated single conductors, the exact reason why they burned through I don't know. I just saw video of them lying in the street smoking with firefighters and Con Ed linemen milling around, a familiar sight when there's work to do. (;->)

Some years ago I saw something similar on the PRR main line through Linden, NJ now Amtrak North East Corridor. A paint and solvent warehouse next to the tracks caught fire and the towering flames laden with soot crossed the transmission lines and 300KV phase to phase arcs burned them through, copper since the line was electrified in 1937. As they parted they drew the longest arcs I've ever seen and fell among the firemen on the tracks, traffic was halted due to the fire. The amazing thing is they were dead when they hit the ground, not a spark was seen and the firemen plainly showed why they're called the bravest, they went along like nothing happened, nobody even flinched.

"My computer widget is showing me a temp of only 88 at JFK right now and 92 in White Plains..."
    Accurate enough to match the map readings on the 5:00 news more or less depending on which service the station employs. Not surprisingly JFK is lower, Jamaica, Queens gets the ocean breeze, White Plains does not.

Your computer WHAT?
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Not entirely, only the trains. Yeah, if the bridges fall and the city loses it's anchors and floats out to sea nobody in Jersey will miss it.
    That's cut off to me. Crossing the busiest bridge in the US on a bus is to be avoided at all costs. That is followed by the madness at 8th Ave and 42nd St. I sometimes feel sorry for the Jersey commuters. At least those who don't act like cattle.

No, I never said catenary was melting, a GG-1 draws 4.95MW for example and it never melted. I said it was sagging in the heat as it always does, trains slowed to avoid pantograph from snagging the overheads and ripping them down.
    Oh, I know you didn't say it, but local news has a knack for embellishing if it sounds better.

Your computer WHAT?
    You don't wanna know, believe me.
    --Philip K. Dick

"Crossing the busiest bridge in the US on a bus is to be avoided at all costs."
    But why would you come to Joisey and cross the G Dub? Maybe you're thinking of the Crap 'n Pee which is most likely of all to fall down being all rotten underneath.

"Oh, I know you didn't say it, but local news has a knack for embellishing if it sounds better."
    Interesting cop out, you confused Conned Ed with Amcrash. (;->)

Your computer WHAT?
    "You don't wanna know, believe me."

Oh I know alright, your computer Gidget, Midget, Fidget, Bidget, Gadget but certainly not Widget... an' ya doesn't has ta call me Johnson.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

"Must be one heck of a smell to it."
    That was mentioned on the news by one of the workers.

"If it's in a very trendy/upscale area they must be raising a big stink."
    I don't know if this is trendy or not but I can guarantee that in this heat garbage AND people get pretty stinking.

"They can melt once they short and start arcing. Pole tops will also burn once the wood carbonizes and forms a conductive path."
    I've seen plenty of both but neither happened in Queens, the wires got so hot the insulation caught fire and the additional heat parted the wires. The 115-230V single phase secondaries are often twisted trios so they arced and burned through, the 2400/4800V 600A three phase primaries are insulated single conductors, the exact reason why they burned through I don't know. I just saw video of them lying in the street smoking with firefighters and Con Ed linemen milling around, a familiar sight when there's work to do. (;->)

Some years ago I saw something similar on the PRR main line through Linden, NJ now Amtrak North East Corridor. A paint and solvent warehouse next to the tracks caught fire and the towering flames laden with soot crossed the transmission lines and 300KV phase to phase arcs burned them through, copper since the line was electrified in 1937. As they parted they drew the longest arcs I've ever seen and fell among the firemen on the tracks, traffic was halted due to the fire. The amazing thing is they were dead when they hit the ground, not a spark was seen and the firemen plainly showed why they're called the bravest, they went along like nothing happened, nobody even flinched.
    Probably the circuit breaker killed the circuit. When a primary shorts out, such as when a tree branch falls across it (or other scenario) the circuit breaker will trip and after a number of seconds will try to reset. If it still see's a short it will cut off and then try and reset again. Depending on how its set up it will do this two, three times, maybe 4 times and then if it still see's a short it will stay down until manually reset. This is what I was told by a line man who does overhead work for Con Ed.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH View Post
    Just as long as they don't bring their tanks with them...
    "Remember........ whatever you say .......don't mention the WAR!!" *

*John Cleese as Basil Fawlty on "Fawlty Towers" :rofl:
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt!

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!