Page 304 of 351 FirstFirst ... 204254294302303304305306314 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,040 of 3505

Thread: We Could Talk About The Weather

8 C today, rain, remains of Lorenzo passing by, minus storm.

l
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Looking at highs in the 70's and lows in the 50's for the next week.
    (11.7ºC to 23.3ºC)

Lorenzo passed like a wet paper bag, sunny now 15 C today, looking at the leaves turning into nice colors on the trees.
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Nature sure puts on a show before the dead of winter, and I mean dead. Then we can't wait for May Day still celebrated on 1 May in many parts of Europe when they dance around the May Pole. Oktoberfest is something new actually, and I'm glad for it, a time of wonderful food, and the nectar of the gods... BEER. Frankly I'd rather celebrate in Europe, American beer is panther piss, and so called "imported" beer is brewed here under license to American panther piss standards.

That grump out of the way, here's the U. S. fall color map for today, Saturn's Day 5 October. Sorry COR, using my VPN that fools search engines into thinking I'm in Switzerland, still I couldn't find one for Europe.

US color change 5 Oct.jpg
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

With the 8 passing autumn like "winters" here I almost feel tricked i put on 4 new all season tyres on my new car last year... expecting another dud of "winter" here, wet rain a night frost or 2 and a few wet snowflakes if we're lucky...
    As usual the UK tabloids all "predict"another winter of death, beasts of the east, meters snow, armagheddon and the like...more fail.

It's about those 8 years that global warming has been bandied about, and the massive argument among those that think it is man-made trying to stop it. It is more productive to stop wasting money and political hot air and just relax to the inevitable natural climate change and the changes to the planet it is causing that we must adapt to. Last night I was lying in bed thinking about the Great Flood and earthquakes that released the waters under the Earth, that actually should be spelt earth lower case, adding to rain for 40 days. "They say" the Sphinx was carved out of a great sandstone formation by a civilization predating Egypt, probably true considering the water worn condition of its base.

Now we have rising sea levels greater than be accounted for by retreating glaciers and a melting Arctic ice cap when you consider how the Antarctic ice cap is actually growing. In effect ice is moving south, not global warming but climate change. How about this, Man is pumping water and oil from underground like there is no tomorrow, and in many cases there IS no tomorrow as we know it. When hydrostatic pressure is relieved the tremendous weight above responds to gravity and the land sinks, it is called subsidence. Irrigation wells not only cause crops to grow, but oddly few have given thought to where the water goes. Yep, evaporation causing rain that mainly flows into the same rivers carrying the excess, both are runoff that ends up... you guessed it... in the ocean, and regardless of the rain cycle ultimately causes rising sea levels. It's like the days of Noah on a smaller scale, after all Man is smaller than God.

See what you did COR? I was going to say how there was more snow in Europe in years past and how designers of the Eurostar Express forgot to account for it. Air intakes for cooling the traction motors and control gear were wide open and they sucked in fine snow stirred up by the fast moving train and shorted out the electrics. Oh no, here we have a high speed train stopped dead in its tracks (sic) by a few inches of snow! Trainsets went back for a design overhaul, the next year's snow didn't bother them. After all that about Noah it occurs to me entire rail systems will have to be redesigned, a century and a half overdue, the Thames already has a flood gate, The Clash were right when they recorded London Calling (at the top of the dial and I live by the river)... glug glug glug. As for the Dutch, higher dikes and more windmills are in order, and not those damnable wind turbines either. Oh yeah, they attract birds too.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Now I did it
    Not so easy to "adapt"to climate change when our country is already for 1/2 it's size below the sea level, levy's and dikes can be build up so far before becoming uneconomical and unpractical, as are our other sea defenses and don't forget the 3 main rivers ending up in our Delta like the rijn, maas schelde which is complex as well.
    Warmer temperatures hold more moist per degree C 7% more so that can be rain but also as snow, like we saw last winter with record snowfall in the Swiss and Austrian mountains.

Droughts as we saw the last 2 years as well.
    We are quite inventive after living with the sea as neighbor for 2000+ years, there are solutions, floating villages or cities but at large costs, and if not every country adapts change we will be in dire straits, i'm 67 and will survive, my son is 32 and has a full life for him, as do the kids.
    I'm doing my bit to be frugal in use of energy and prevention of pollution, as I can understand kids being angry about us.

I would hate it to see us having to give up London, Amsterdam and other coastal cities and area's to the sea rise.
    But that is what is in the future if we don't adapt.
    In my life i saw the changes, and they are faster as ever before.

Put new dykes up out further and fill with dirt. Over time raise the ground in different areas until the whole country is 50 feet taller. 15.25 meters or whatever height it takes. Create a new industry in this practice and export contract services to other island nations and low lying areas.
    We could do this in New Orleans and other places but we won't. We've got our heads too far up our asses.

Right COR, you did it alright. (;->) Your future countrymen will have to get used to the idea they are bo longer Dutch, but citizens of other countries, The Netherlands is one of many countries that will cease to exist. Bye bye London and Amsterdam, Venice is already halfway there dispite the new sea wall and pumping stations. I don't understand why tourists think it's such a romantic city or even go there. In the famous gondolas don't look over the side, those floating things are toilet fish, and that water coming out of a large pipe in the wall is a flush. My future self won't miss it. New Jersey from Raritan Bay south is sand and rolling hills, ancient dunes that were the bottom of a 200ft / 61M shallow sea that will return. The Gulf States and Central Plains States will again be under water, I don't remember the names of all the countries that will cease to exist, no sense posting conflicting maps, it's all guesswork after all. Poor Sydney, Australia, the opera house will have to be refitted with diving apparatus.

Sydney 2100.jpgUS 2100.jpg
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 10-08-2019 at 07:22 AM.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

It was a bit nippy on my morning motorcycle commute - from the CLE area back to the shack.

That time of year, when daytime temps are pleasant...and the bottom falls out after dusk.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."