Page 287 of 351 FirstFirst ... 187237277285286287288289297337 ... LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,870 of 3501

Thread: We Could Talk About The Weather

Cloudy, 8 C no branches moving, high pressure area till end of the year so warmer as normal.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Inches of rain. 50º Merry Christmas.

Attachment 16020
    Get off my lawn.....

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    We'll see what January/February will bring if we get an early SSW we can get hit bad.
    all is pointing to that, so having 4 new all weather tires under the new car might have been a good idea.
    The SSW is looking more likely, and most of the time, produces bitter cold winters for eastern US and Europe.

Joe Bastardi has been predicting a colder winter since August. (https://www.weatherbell.com/)
    Good discussion on SSW and the polar vortex here: https://www.nymetroweather.com/2018/...may-affect-us/

Joe Bastardi has been predicting the winter of the century/doom/death for the last 12 years,and failed all the time..just as his prediction we would get back into another ice age since 2014....
    Fox climate denier par excellence... https://www.skepticalscience.com/one...-bastardi.html

It all depends on how the SSW runs, and where the cold reservoirs end up,mostly if the USA gets bad cold we get a normal winter, or the split should also be above the EU, then we can get a bad winter.
    Last year SWW made February and the start of March colder as usual here and caused the "beast of the East" problems in the EU and specially UK through the lake effect dumped snow in the UK.
    Cold eastern wind over the relative warm channel/North Sea caused massive dumps of snow in the UK and we got our share here as well.
    After that we had a scorcher of a summer....
    Till now December was much too warm, one little snow dump that was gone in 12 hours, and up to the 4th of January the same, after that the bets are off.
    January and February are the coldest months here, so i do expect some cold to pop in later in January.
    Last edited by PA5COR; 12-27-2018 at 06:43 AM.
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Joe Bastardi has been predicting the winter of the century/doom/death for the last 12 years,and failed all the time..just as his prediction we would get back into another ice age since 2014....
    Fox climate denier par excellence... https://www.skepticalscience.com/one...-bastardi.html

It all depends on how the SSW runs, and where the cold reservoirs end up,mostly if the USA gets bad cold we get a normal winter, or the split should also be above the EU, then we can get a bad winter.
    Last year SWW made February and the start of March colder as usual here and caused the "beast of the East" problems in the EU and specially UK through the lake effect dumped snow in the UK.
    Cold eastern wind over the relative warm channel/North Sea caused massive dumps of snow in the UK and we got our share here as well.
    After that we had a scorcher of a summer....
    Till now December was much too warm, one little snow dump that was gone in 12 hours, and up to the 4th of January the same, after that the bets are off.
    January and February are the coldest months here, so i do expect some cold to pop in later in January.
    Let's keep the political nonsense out of the discussion, this is not the place for it.

I came across Bastardi's forecasts last winter, and he was dead-on accurate in predicting big snow storms along the east coast. Last last Jan/early Feb, there was a big snow storm in Europe, he said that storm will result in a big east coast storm. I counted the days, and on the tenth day, we did have a big storm. Last Aug, he predicted a cold, dry winter for the east coast, when the others were predicting warmer than normal. The SSW that was not foreseen, will probably increase the precipitation along the east coast, but as you know, SSW's are not yet well understood. Slide 16 from this NOAA presentation http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product.../mjoupdate.pdf, has the GFS MJO (Madden-Julian Oscillation) in line with Bastardi's earlier prediction, with phase 6 going to extremes. Phase 7 and 8 is what to watch for, as timing in the coldest part of winter. The east coast (US) and western Europe is in the same situation in this scenario. The SSW will make things interesting. Please keep us posted with your weather events.

Alright, help me out here. The SSW? Whuut?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Alright, help me out here. The SSW? Whuut?
    Sudden Stratospheric Warming

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learnin...pheric-warming

What is an SSW?

The term SSW refers to what we observe - rapid warming (up to about 50 *°C in just a couple of days) in the stratosphere, between 10 km and 50 km up.
    (6 to 31 miles)

Edited to add: https://www.metric-conversions.org/

Well shit, I just learned something.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Just proves the old saying that you are never to old to learn....
    Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Well shit, I just learned something.