Page 260 of 351 FirstFirst ... 160210250258259260261262270310 ... LastLast
Results 2,591 to 2,600 of 3501

Thread: We Could Talk About The Weather

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Ha! That's how we feel around here. We are something like 15" over for the water year here (October is the rollover). Last year was an over year too. I suppose it's always better than the alternative...

Hunker down Mike and hope the genny is up to the task. (I'm sure it is or you wouldn't have put it there)
    Mid June through early August was dry with a respite for 10 days in August. From that point on until November it was bone, I MEAN BONE DRY and we had fires unlike anything we've ever had. No fire management has ever been done here like they do out West so once it started it took off like a powder keg. Most years you could go anywhere and uncover a layer of leaves and the ground would be moist. Hiking in the mountains you could see where people had dug in with their boots and the top layer would slip revealing dark, organic mud less than an inch deep.
    This year so far it has been wet but in Anderson county they are keeping Hartwell artificially low because of politics and the way they make money on crying "drought."

Yesterday we had 3 waves of storms here- tornadoes just north and south of us (within 5 miles) great lightning display and one downpour! Yesterday it was 86-today 64. But the garden looks good.
    I thought religions were prophet based organizations.
    What do you mean I am out of money? I still have checks!
    Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic

Still blowing... rain is still coming down just a tiny bit.

Can hear the waves flooding onto the beaches below us.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    No fire management has ever been done here like they do out West so once it started it took off like a powder keg.

That is a bummer. But out here in the peoples republic of Oregon, fire management is as far as I can see non existent. Too many environmental hurdles to overcome. Gotta keep it 'natural' for the critters man. I think the powers that be here see big wildfires AS management.

If the west side of this state ever got into a big enough drought like the rest of the state gets into and a bunch of shit burned down, GUARANTEED a bunch of people would be howling and shit would change in a heartbeat. Till then - burn, baby, burn!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    <snip> Till then - burn, baby, burn!

Hail!
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Battling 30mph sustained winds with gusts to 60mph in northeast Nebraska. Sideways hard rain. Had my big truck trailer tires come off the road. Decided it's time to park. Nice spring storm goin on right now!

I did that once on 54 between Dalhart, TX and Liberal, KS. Light load, heavy crosswind. Yeah, took a 10 hour after that in Liberal. You know what I mean and I know how you feel. NE is bad this time of year too. My folks are in Alliance and told me they had snow Friday. I will never forget the night in SD when the tornado came within a mile of the truck stop (if you could call it that) and there was no where to go except up.

Proceed with due diligence sir. Your effort is appreciated.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I-80 through Wyoming was great for that sort of thing. Nothing like trying to pilot a Big Truck to a safe spot through high winds on glare ice. Knuckles, thy color be white.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Master Navigator
    Driving up here can be a lot of fun. I was coming back from a business trip to Colorado one April - it was about 70 in Denver when I left, but it was snowing in Lincoln when I got there 8 hours later. I got up the next morning to blizzard warning and Interstate highway closures in Iowa, so I went north on two laners to Sioux City, and got on I-90. Why it wasn't closed, I'll never know, because it was one big ice sheet. I started crawling east toward home at 20-25 MPH, avoiding the brakes at all costs. A Highway trooper going the other way tried to do a U-turn behind me, and slid right off the pavement.

I drove across almost the whole state at 25 MPH that evening. The weather didn't get bad until I crossed I-35 - at that point the visibility was extremely poor. I ended up following an 18 wheeler who was also creeping along. All I could see was his rear lights. After a short time, he stopped suddenly in front of me. I soon realized that I had followed him right into a Rest Stop!

I don't take my life in my hands anymore - there is nothing so important that I can't spend another night if needed.