Page 229 of 351 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239279329 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 3501

Thread: We Could Talk About The Weather

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Meanwhile here in CO, the upper peaks are getting their first dusting of snow.

Cold front moved in, a bunch of soaking rain at lower altitudes.

Today's high "down" in Denver, 75, low about 50.

Ahhhhhh.
    Just got my companies 1st reminder that as of Sept 1st, trucks are required to carry a full compliment of chains in Colorado between mm133 Dotsero and mm259 Morrison exit.

Winter is coming!

Ahh, iron. Don't miss throwing iron one bit. Miss the rest of it, but not that.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    I don't know that having that horse in there with you is helping out with that.
    That's not me....
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    That's not me....
    Well of course. I know you're not that horse. DUH!

Willlbur

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by AF7XM View Post
    Willlbur
    I see a Studebaker in your future.
    Mean while here in Georgia they are on their 59th day in a row of 90 plus. Not one day below 90 since June 21st.
    I thought religions were prophet based organizations.
    What do you mean I am out of money? I still have checks!
    Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic

Quote Originally Posted by N2CHX View Post
    It's been so hot and humid outside this summer I can barely stand it. I've unfortunately had to spend most of it indoors.
    Indoors is the best place to be during this kind of weather. Particularly if you have air conditioning. I've fortunately been able to spend most of the very hot days in a 67 degree air conditioned room. The times I had to venture outdoors it was brutal. Last Saturday is was about 100 in the shade and probably 120-130 in the direct sun. What was really scary was when we lost power for about 15 minutes on the hottest afternoon of the summer. I was worried that we'd be stuck for hours with no power and no ac or even fans. Fortunately it came back on but at a low voltage (about 104 VAC). Fortunately even at 104 VAC I was able to keep the AC running and the computer network on. There were a lot of scattered outages due to the heat.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

So why don't you do a John Wayne and go North To Alaska? Good old fashioned air conditioner overload of 1950s infrastructure when only theatres were air conditioned. It happened here a few years ago when the Point Pleasant Feeder from Oyster Creek Nuclear failed, JCP&L blew a fuse on the hottest day of the year. I decided to cool off in the bath tub, no such luck, the faucet made a slurping sound and no water. Oh lovely, the water company has no Diesel backup generators! I couldn't even get a drink until evening when the lights came on. They wised up and ran a parallel feeder, then two years ago they ran another. I watched them connect it at the substation up the street, as I went about my business I heard the sound of a heavy arc and the power went out. <giggles> It didn't take long for them to do what they should have done, identify the phases and connect them correctly.

That having been said, now the weather, a typical August day here at the Jersey Shore. Unfortunately the Benny repellent is a bit late, but they'll have fun sitting in the homeward bound traffic jam in pouring rain, lightning and thunder. I just feel sorry for Public Works cleaning up the mess they leave in the rain, soggy garbage everywhere is harder to get up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    So why don't you do a John Wayne and go North To Alaska?
    Oh I intend to. I am bound for Northern Alaska or Canada's Yukon.

Good old fashioned air conditioner overload of 1950s infrastructure when only theatres were air conditioned.
    Yeah !! It used to be more common here when ConEd was still running 1950's infrastructure in Westchester. Fortunately they upgraded and these are less common. But still, every so often on a hot day BANG! Most of the local outages were local xfmr blowouts or overheated cables. Nothing too widespread.

It happened here a few years ago when the Point Pleasant Feeder from Oyster Creek Nuclear failed, JCP&L blew a fuse on the hottest day of the year. I decided to cool off in the bath tub, no such luck, the faucet made a slurping sound and no water. Oh lovely, the water company has no Diesel backup generators! I couldn't even get a drink until evening when the lights came on. They wised up and ran a parallel feeder, then two years ago they ran another. I watched them connect it at the substation up the street, as I went about my business I heard the sound of a heavy arc and the power went out. <giggles> It didn't take long for them to do what they should have done, identify the phases and connect them correctly.
    Yeah, they screw up sometimes. :) I like the timed circuit breakers. If a fault occurs and the breaker goes out it will try and reset. If the fault isn't cleared it will go out again. After the second or third time it will just give up and remain open. Brings back the sequence of events when Hurricane Sandy hit us.

That having been said, now the weather, a typical August day here at the Jersey Shore. Unfortunately the Benny repellent is a bit late, but they'll have fun sitting in the homeward bound traffic jam in pouring rain, lightning and thunder. I just feel sorry for Public Works cleaning up the mess they leave in the rain, soggy garbage everywhere is harder to get up.
    Heat wave has finally subsided here. AC is staying off most of the time so I have my antique 1920's GE fan providing a soft breeze running on low speed. Speed control is an autotransformer in the base of the fan.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Serious thunderstorms right now. Drenching rain and thunder- moderate lightning. Trees blowing around hard.

Antennas disconnected... awaiting incoming power outage.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...