Page 222 of 353 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224232272322 ... LastLast
Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 3526

Thread: We Could Talk About The Weather

20160123_191443.jpgGot 30" at the qth here in northern virginia.
    Last edited by K4PIH; 01-24-2016 at 12:02 AM.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

That's a lot of four letter word.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Five inches of snow over an inch and a half of ice. Two pm yesterday it had been icing for a couple of hours when a large tree up the street came down. Eight poles in the neighborhood were replaced last night. Twelve hours without power. Twenty-nine hours without internet or even TV.

I started tuning around the FMBCB and AMBCB on a portable. Not one report of local conditions on the commercial stations. NOAA weather radio was useless in the situation as well. I would be interested in local reports and updates. Two meter repeaters were quiet. Need an updated scanner if I want to listen to public safety and work crews.

Twenty one degrees is the forecast for tonight. Thirty degrees last night in all the mess.
    It snowed here for over 24 hrs. No ice though.

Overnight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 51. South wind around 5 mph.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 63. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

We got clobbered here, with dual monitors I was watching movies on one and NWS Doppler radar on the other. I had the scanner on in the background listening to the usual stuff, nothing moving except for emergency services, even flights at Lakehurst NAS and McGuire AFB were suspended. Things are starting to move today, sort of, I heard them digging New Jersey Transit trains out in Bay Head Yard, still nothing moving at 4:00pm. Thankfully power and heat stayed on and so did cable for my Internet and TV for those easily entertained by dreck. Anything can happen here at the Jerky Shore, but I half expected power to stay on because the 27KV 3 phase atom by wire feeders are well clear of trees and I'm only a block from the substation so I expected the 4800V 3 phase secondaries to hold up, I'm glad I was right. This was a rare event here at the shoreline and I'm glad of that too, if it happened every winter I'd move to SoCal the land of fruits and nuts where I'd easily fit in the can of mixed nuts and leave the fruits to do their own thing. Floriduh has the weather but not the climate, you know what I mean. Oh, the scanner has a 12V 7.5AH gel battery on float charge so it doesn't even notice a power failure, at least I'd have had something to listen to while I froze my ass off by the light of a candle.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Master Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    ...but I half expected power to stay on because the 27KV 3 phase atom by wire feeders are well clear of trees and I'm only a block from the substation so I expected the 4800V 3 phase secondaries to hold up, I'm glad I was right.
    You must run a really big linyear to need them kind of volts in yer shack!

Quote Originally Posted by XE1/N5AL View Post
    You must run a really big linyear to need them kind of volts in yer shack!
    Enough to knock him off his rocker?

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Enough to knock him off his rocker?
    That would explain a lot...
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Storm was severe here. Massive snow drifts driven by 100 mph crosswinds across from Brooklyn. . Snowfall at a rate of 12 inches a minute along with intense lightning, thunder and frequent tornado's. Had to climb out to the roof with snowshoes to get out of the house at hurricane wind driven ice and snow at temperatures of -80 below zero.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Storm was severe here. Massive snow drifts driven by 100 mph crosswinds across from Brooklyn. . Snowfall at a rate of 12 inches a minute along with intense lightning, thunder and frequent tornado's. Had to climb out to the roof with snowshoes to get out of the house at hurricane wind driven ice and snow at temperatures of -80 below zero.
    Snowshoes? I thought it was barefoot, uphill. both ways...
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati