Page 179 of 351 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189229279 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 3501

Thread: We Could Talk About The Weather

San Diego has resumed ti's SUNNY WX today, but might have a few more raindrops before the year is over!

Quote Originally Posted by wa6mhz View Post
    San Diego has resumed ti's SUNNY WX today, but might have a few more raindrops before the year is over!
    Looks like another one ready for us by the end of next week, Pat. We got 2.7" total from this storm; what did you get up there in Crest?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

0.74" at the Island marijuana plantation.
    Encrypt everything. Even if you have nothing to hide. It increases the noise floor.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Must be at least 70 F here. I'm wearing a short sleeved shirt and sitting in the shade because it's too warm in the sun.
    Hah... I wear a short sleeved shirt when it's 40 degrees. As far a sun goes, what is that ? Oh you mean that yellow ball of light that I see in the southerly direction. It pretty much disappears by 4:30 pm. Then the dark rises and blots out the light. :)
    Last edited by n2ize; 12-05-2014 at 05:22 AM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Don't hava rain gauge (kind of a useless item for SoCal!!!) but I would guess several inches. I know it filled up the dog dish so the stray pusses now have fresh water. I should measure the Mosquito breeding pond (defunct pool) to see if it went up. looks cloudy today, they said somehting about more showers tonight. It better not rain before midnight though!! tonight is our company Christmas party and I'm gonna have my TUX on that I don't want to have to dry clean!!

Quote Originally Posted by wa6mhz View Post
    Don't hava rain gauge (kind of a useless item for SoCal!!!) but I would guess several inches. I know it filled up the dog dish so the stray pusses now have fresh water. I should measure the Mosquito breeding pond (defunct pool) to see if it went up. looks cloudy today, they said somehting about more showers tonight. It better not rain before midnight though!! tonight is our company Christmas party and I'm gonna have my TUX on that I don't want to have to dry clean!!
    Only a 20% chance of rain tonight, Pat. You should be okay.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Looks as though we are going to have a miserable week coming up......the following statement issued by Environment Canada:

2:50 PM PST Sunday 07 December 2014
    Special weather statement in effect for:

• East Vancouver Island

Warm, wet and windy weather forecast for much of coastal British Columbia beginning Monday night and continuing through mid week.
    A series of intense weather systems will approach coastal British Columbia.

The initial system approaching Haida Gwaii this afternoon will weaken as it crosses the South Coast on Monday. A second more intense front will bring heavy rain and strong winds to Vancouver Island and parts of the inner South Coast beginning Monday night and continuing through Tuesday morning. Heavy rain and strong winds will redevelop on Wednesday morning as a third system moves across the coast.

Significant rainfall amounts for the 3 day period will range from 50 to 100 millimetres for many areas and up to 200 millimetres over southwest facing slopes. Freezing levels are also expected to increase to near 2000 metres for the North Coast and to 2500 metres for the South Coast through mid week.
    The public is advised to monitor future forecasts and warnings as warnings may be required or extended

What's interesting is the rainfall amount..... I haven't seen 200 millimeter amounts listed by them in a long time!

The pineapple express from Hawaii is about to hit Vancouver Island
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt! :roll:

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!

Quote Originally Posted by VE7DCW View Post
    Looks as though we are going to have a miserable week coming up...

What's interesting is the rainfall amount..... I haven't seen 200 millimeter amounts listed by them in a long time!

The pineapple express from Hawaii is about to hit Vancouver Island
    Nearly 8 inches? That's quite a bit of rain. Wasn't that fairly normal in the Canadian Southwest/ US Northwest at one time?

Nothing much new here. It's winter.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH View Post
    Nearly 8 inches? That's quite a bit of rain. Wasn't that fairly normal in the Canadian Southwest/ US Northwest at one time?

Nothing much new here. It's winter.
    There have been some big,and I mean BIG rain events which have happened years ago...... Winter here is the time for the rain to fall,but most of the time the weather office listed rainfall amounts of the order to expect 50,75,100 mm in rainfall accumulations....... but I have to go back quite a number of years to to remember even seeing 200 mm listed even for system facing southern mountain slopes..... this is what to expect in our area when a possible El Nino beckons

These crazy weather systems are nicknamed the "Pineapple Express" because their moisture laden journey starts with the warm Pacific Ocean waters of the Hawaiian Islands.....the jet stream does the rest

A fairly well written article on this phenomenon is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineapple_Express :shock:
    Last edited by VE7DCW; 12-08-2014 at 03:03 AM. Reason: spelling
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt! :roll:

Uh oh...... the weather office has bumped up their statement to warning now:

Warnings

11:45 PM PST Sunday 07 December 2014
    Rainfall warning in effect for:

• East Vancouver Island

Rain, at times heavy, is expected.

An incredible series of storms are set to cross the BC Coast this
    week. An intense jet stream over the Pacific is gathering very warm
    moist air from southern latitudes. A subtropically-influenced
    airstream will bombard the mountains of Vancouver Island and the
    Lower Mainland from early Monday through Thursday morning.
    High rainfall rates will and a prolonged period of rainy weather
    will create an extraordinary 3 to 4 day rain event.

The first two storms will boost rainfall totals well above the
    warning criteria for a 24-hour period. Following systems will add to
    the week's rainfall and the initial warnings will likely be extended
    for successive 24-hour periods though mid-week. The inflooding warm
    air will drive the freezing level to nearly 2500 metres. In some
    areas, additional water from snow-melt will add more water to
    drainage basins, creeks, and rivers.

The East Coast of Vancouver Island, the Sunshine Coast, Metro Vancouver
    and the Fraser Valley-West including Abbotsford, will receive between 25 and
    100 millimetres of rain by Tuesday morning. And that is just the beginning...
    Heavy downpours can cause flash floods and water pooling on roads. Watch for possible washouts near rivers, creeks and culverts.

Environment Canada meteorologists will update alerts as required. Please monitor local media or Weatheradio. Email reports of severe weather to pacificstorm@ec.gc.ca or tweet with the hashtag #BCStorm.

10:34 PM PST Sunday 07 December 2014
    Wind warning in effect for:

• East Vancouver Island

Strong winds that may cause damage are expected or occurring.

A FAST MOVING FRONTAL SYSTEM WILL CROSS VANCOUVER ISLAND MONDAY AFTERNOON BRINGING SOUTHERLY WINDS OF 70 KM/H GUSTING TO 90 KM/H. THESE WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO DIMINISH EARLY TUESDAY MORNING AS THE FRONT MOVES INTO THE BC INTERIOR.
    Gusty winds can damage soft shelters, tents and awnings at outdoor events.

Wind warnings are issued when there is a significant risk of damaging winds.

Environment Canada meteorologists will update alerts as required. Please monitor local media or Weatheradio. Email reports of severe weather to pacificstorm@ec.gc.ca or tweet with the hashtag #BCStorm.

Statements

11:49 PM PST Sunday 07 December 2014
    Special weather statement ended for:

• East Vancouver Island

Damn ........ I hate the weather here this time of year!