Page 149 of 355 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 3543

Thread: We Could Talk About The Weather

[QUOTE=kb2vxa;606356]So the only color is in your avatar, false advertizing is illegal.../QUOTE]

Just a pic from the Catskills last fall. Who knows maybe this time we'll have a NYC fall where the leaves just turn brown and drop. So far that's what we've had since there's been no frost here. We also had fewer birds, fewer insects and fewer animals around than last year. Seems that the culling of the herd took place with last two years cold and snow. We could use another warm one like 2011-12 was. Nobody is looking forward to another 7½ months of snow and cold like we got in 2012.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

[QUOTE=N2NH;606413]
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    So the only color is in your avatar, false advertizing is illegal.../QUOTE]

Just a pic from the Catskills last fall. Who knows maybe this time we'll have a NYC fall where the leaves just turn brown and drop. So far that's what we've had since there's been no frost here. We also had fewer birds, fewer insects and fewer animals around than last year. Seems that the culling of the herd took place with last two years cold and snow. We could use another warm one like 2011-12 was. Nobody is looking forward to another 7½ months of snow and cold like we got in 2012.
    I prefer a prolonged winter to a prolonged summer. Perhaps if I could spend my time at the beach or in an air conditioned house I might not mind the summer heat & humidity. But when you've got to be out in the sun and traveling around in that heat and you are constantly sweating you can;t wait till its over. Parts of the Adirondacks have already had a frost but they're much further north and higher elevation.. It's still a bit early for the Catskills. I assume you actually live in the Catskill Mountains ? My aunt lives pretty far into the Catskills. Generally when its mild and raining in winter down here its cold and snowing up where she is. I generally don't recommend the Catskills to those looking for long spells of Miami - like weather. :)
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

[QUOTE=N2NH;606413]
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    So the only color is in your avatar, false advertizing is illegal.../QUOTE]

You kidding, NYC has some very beautiful fall colors. Ever been to the Bronx Botanical gardens in the fall ? And in my area, just a wee 10 minutes north of the Bronx we get some incredible fall colors here. Rich reds, yellows, oranges, etc.
    Manhattan may be different because the only trees growing there are what the city planted (mostly Ginko trees it seems) . But I hear that Central Park can be quite spectacular in the fall. Also, when I was in Brooklyn, Arlington Ave right down the block from me had a lot of old big suburban like private homes and the street was lined with lots of old trees and I remember the fall colors were stunning. Also, Highland Park, right down the other end of my street was absolutely beautiful in the fall. People used to go for walks there and up to and around the Ridgewood Reservoir to enjoy the fall colors. May not be as spectacular as upstate NY or New England but for a crowded city with limited green space it puts on quite a display of colors in the fall.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Well, it looks like Kevin and I are in for some more of that wet stuff for a few days later this week, thanks to Odile. I imagine we will get some more flooding if we get much more than a couple of inches over the duration. If it is heavy, like the last two times, it will be a certainty that more flooding will occur up here as well as in Phoenix. It was around 104 degrees today, so either this will cool things down a bit, or it will be like the jungles of Ecuador around here.

We were going to make a trip to Yuma in the near future to drop off some thing for some friends of ours, but I guess I can just stick it in the wash out front. I'm sure it will get there a hell of a lot faster than UPS or USPS. Unless some rotten bastid hijacks it as it passes through Gila Bend.
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 09-15-2014 at 06:53 PM.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Well, it looks like Kevin and I are in for some more of that wet stuff for a few days later this week, thanks to Odile. I imagine we will get some more flooding if we get much more than a couple of inches over the duration. If it is heavy, like the last two times, it will be a certainty that more flooding will occur up here as well as in Phoenix. It was around 104 degrees today, so either this will cool things down a bit, or it will be like the jungles of Ecuador around here.

We were going to make a trip to Yuma in the near future to drop off some thing for some friends of ours, but I guess I can just stick it in the wash out front. I'm sure it will get there a hell of a lot faster than UPS or USPS. Unless some rotten bastid hijacks it as it passes through Gila Bend.
    I hear Odile is a crock!
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    I hear Odile is a crock!
    Hmmm....... not according to my XYL's aunt.....her and her hubby were staying at a resort in Cabo san Lucas Mexico when the full impact of Odile hit! .......she had posted previous on her Facebook page the bravado stuff of literally having a drunk up with a hurricane party to celebrate! ......we got a hold of her yesterday afternoon and she was definately singing a different tune....... she posted a cell phone video with some of the extreme damage to a lot of the resorts done by that hurricane.....she said they claimed it was a Category 3 storm hitting that part of Mexico......:shock:
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt!

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!

Only the lucky get to learn the lesson about staying in a hurricane's path. I went through Andrew in '92. I wasn't in the direct path but up north in West Palm. Some hams and I stationed at Palm Bch Intl fire station 61 with KD4LWW and Mike KD4GEH. After the 'cane went by we all went to help down in Kendall. I'll never forget the devastation down there. Words can't describe it. The highest piece of debris was no more the 5ft high. No appreciable homes left anywhere. Just piles of sticks, wrecked cars, palm trees and concrete slabs

I went down with Mark KD4LWW (no longer a ham according to the fcc DB) and Herbert KD4OZY sk. Herb became sk while we were helping provide backup comms to Dade County EOC from the Kendall area. He was coordinating unloading a NG helicopter when lightning struck a fence post about 300ft from the copter. Bolt traveled down the fence and jumped into Herb then into the copter as I remember. Pretty much killed him instantly. They evacced him to the local hospital where he was officially pronounced. Some ham in Michigan made a memorial with his and others names on it. It was posted in QST Dec 2002.

Here is a link to the article.
    http://www.michiganpropertytax.com/articles/QST2002.pdf

98°F (37°C) and overcast with drizzle. Lovely weather.

ON EDIT: Turned out to be more than a bit of drizzle:

No damage at the QTH but things got pretty exciting in other areas around the county.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 09-16-2014 at 09:10 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    With all the fires in the state, you could use a bit, and I hope you get some. I also hope it rains.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL