Page 131 of 353 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 3526

Thread: We Could Talk About The Weather

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    At the minimum probably very severe flooding in lower Manhattan. Will probably shut the subways down for a few days. If the storm intensifies as it passes Long Island it could swing westward and clobber everything well into upstate New York. This could end up making Sandy look like a joke. It it stays on the expected course it good take out much of Boston.
    Hype?
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH View Post
    Hype?
    No, i wouldn't call it hype. The ocean is very warm off Long Island and warm water is what fuels hurricanes. There is a good chance we'll see a rapid intensification as it passes east of the tri state area and at a Cat 3 - Cat 5 intensity if it turns westward.... well, all I can say is...lookout !!!

There is a good chance it may pass us without too much impact but until it does we are in very grave danger from this hurricane.

We already had 2 straight days of severe thunderstorms making our skies dark as night. So at this point I'd say be prepared for the worst.
    Last edited by n2ize; 07-03-2014 at 10:09 PM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Pretty average Summer this year. Can't say the same for some other places.

We were above 90 here for the first time since last year. The record is 7/15 IIRC from sometime in the mid-1980s.

Did get a small earthquake in the area last week. A 2.4 felt by 2 people but it was on the fault line that the nuke plant is on, so some are getting the jitters over it.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Summer is in swing in a big way again this year.....weather people talking about perhaps breaking high temperature records this weekend into the low 30 degrees Celsius! ........ overnight low temperatures are not going down to where they should be for summer,prompting a a couple of the climatologists around here that the local climate is behaving quite tropical and our local climate here is heading for a type of mediterranean climate after patterns following 5 years in a row...... and it looks like it's going to be an El nino winter......which for around here means warmer, no snow and slightly more precipitation. :-?
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt!

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!

Quote Originally Posted by VE7DCW View Post
    Summer is in swing in a big way again this year.....weather people talking about perhaps breaking high temperature records this weekend into the low 30 degrees Celsius! ........ overnight low temperatures are not going down to where they should be for summer,prompting a a couple of the climatologists around here that the local climate is behaving quite tropical and our local climate here is heading for a type of mediterranean climate after patterns following 5 years in a row...... and it looks like it's going to be an El nino winter......which for around here means warmer, no snow and slightly more precipitation. :-?
    I have given up on trying to predict the seasonal weather based on El' Nino or La Nina. Some say for us it means a mild winter with lots of rain. But I have seen the opposite happen, very cold weather and lots of snow along with an el' nino. And I have seen years with no el' nino that have been very mild. I am beginning to think that nobody really knows for certain what actual effect it will have during any season.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Sunny, 26.8 C now, humid after yesterday's rain.
    Already had the 6 hottest months in a row ever measured here since January.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Sunny, 26.8 C now, humid after yesterday's rain.
    Already had the 6 hottest months in a row ever measured here since January.
    Wish it were hot here. Only hit 90F (33C) for the first time a few days ago. Now the weather service is predicting that overnight temperatures will be near or at record lows thanks to ... the Polar Vortex. The temps are supposed to get down to 50F or 10C. This is turning out to be the summer that sucks.

Interestingly, the gulf states and the Southwest are going to be higher than normal. Interesting how that works out. For the most part it's vote red and temps go up.

Mid-July Is Looking More Like Mid-September
    (Wx Blog)

Last edited by N2NH; 07-11-2014 at 03:27 AM.
    --Philip K. Dick

Another 29 C day today, sunny, almost no wind.
    Every hot day here is followed by thunderstorms and deluges of rain in parts of the country and Germany/Belgium/France.
    Caused some flooding damage in our country and one person killed, tree fell on him.

Nothing of that here, closer to the sea here so the storms are more inland.
    Getting warmer there as well as here 30+ C...
    Watching Discovery with a documentary about superstorm Sandy as I type..
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Master Navigator
    Typical weather day for our rainy season: high of 81F (27C), with low of 59F (15C) tonight. Scattered thunderstorms. Nice weather, as most houses here have neither heating, nor air conditioning -- they are not really necessary.
    Last edited by XE1/N5AL; 07-12-2014 at 09:32 AM.