Page 130 of 353 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180230 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 3526

Thread: We Could Talk About The Weather

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Nothing will ever compare with the twelve o'clock whistle of my childhood.

Duck and cover.
    Yeah, we had that here in NYC. Every day at exactly 12 noon they would start up "Big Joe"... the massive siren powered by a Chrysler V8 engine and it would give one loud rise---fal blast and then shut down. And at least once a month they would give "Big Joe" a full workout test... a lengthy steady tone (alert warning) and then a minute or two of the infamous rise---fall (under attack) tone and then they'd shut Big Joe down. Big Joe's were mounted on public buildings, apartment buildings, school buildings, and other strategic locations. They had a huge chopper that was powered by a big V8 engine and the whole shebang was mounted on a rotating turntable.

Here is an example of a restored "Big Joe" in action...

Last edited by n2ize; 07-02-2014 at 07:40 PM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Yeah, we had that here in NYC. Every day at exactly 12 noon they would start up "Big Joe"... the massive siren powered by a Chrysler V8 engine and it would give one loud rise---fal blast and then shut down. And at least once a month they would give "Big Joe" a full workout test... a lengthy steady tone (alert warning) and then a minute or two of the infamous rise---fall (under attack) tone and then they'd shut Big Joe down. Big Joe's were mounted on public buildings, apartment buildings, school buildings, and other strategic locations. They had a huge chopper that was powered by a big V8 engine and the whole shebang was mounted on a rotating turntable.

Here is an example of a restored "Big Joe" in action...

I've seen those before, although not in person. I can only imagine how loud they are. The ones we had, were probably like the ones at every grade school in America. Big yellow horn, mounted up about 40 feet or so on a pole, and motor driven. They did have some pretty good range. The only ones left that I know of, are in the neighborhoods around the nuke plant Southwest of Phoenix.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    No, a Mashie Niblick is more the equivalent of a 5 iron. The equivalent of a 9 iron would be the Mashie. More info here.
    Loooseeeeeeeeeeeee!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    No, a Mashie Niblick is more the equivalent of a 5 iron. The equivalent of a 9 iron would be the Mashie. More info here.
    And all these years I thought my Jewish friends were talking Yiddish.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

I thought it was from I Love Lucy.
    Advance video to 6:19 or 7:00.

http://www.tv.com/shows/i-love-lucy/...lf-game-17133/

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    I've seen those before, although not in person. I can only imagine how loud they are. The ones we had, were probably like the ones at every grade school in America. Big yellow horn, mounted up about 40 feet or so on a pole, and motor driven. They did have some pretty good range. The only ones left that I know of, are in the neighborhoods around the nuke plant Southwest of Phoenix.
    Yeah, there were also plenty of the yellow horn sirens around too. Most of the public school buildings had the smaller yellow ones on top. My high school has one on the roof back in the early 70's and it was still functional. Nowaday's it appears to be gone. While they were not as loud as "Big Joe" they were still quite loud. Most of them (including Big Joe) have all gone to the scrapyard. A few might still be rusting away on some old towers or rooftops. And a few have been salvaged and rebuilt...mostly by nostalgic farmers who have enough wide open space and clear land to test the things.
    Last edited by n2ize; 07-03-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NA4BH View Post
    Just looked at your radar, you're in for a heap-o-sheet. Time to unplug some stuff.
    Looks like we are in for round 2 today. Looks like a lot of activity coming west. And then tomorrow we will be getting clobbered by Arthur. A 1-2-3 punch.

Here We Go Again...

Sat TV is in and out and it is dark as night with distant thunder. Just got home ahead of this one and after an earlier storm.

I wonder how things will work out when Arthur passes tomorrow...
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

It's right on top of us now.

Quote Originally Posted by N2NH View Post
    Sat TV is in and out and it is dark as night with distant thunder. Just got home ahead of this one and after an earlier storm.

I wonder how things will work out when Arthur passes tomorrow...
    At the minimum probably very severe flooding in lower Manhattan. Will probably shut the subways down for a few days. If the storm intensifies as it passes Long Island it could swing westward and clobber everything well into upstate New York. This could end up making Sandy look like a joke. It it stays on the expected course it good take out much of Boston.