Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 3W4483

CB3.jpg

Found it! Had to use the wayback machine with Mr. Peabody

That's the same form mine was printed on, different from those issued during the 1W, 2W and 1Q, 2Q, etc. era. I remember Helen who squawked just like a parrot "2Q5468 base to mobile, copy Walt?" I squawked right back "2Q5468, AWK! <whistle> Polly want a cracker! <whistle>" A few stations laughed, then she went right back like nothing happened. Of course, we were friends, she and Walt knew I was just kidding.

Oh, almost forgot Dave Popskin's plan of attack, he was well known and well feared, word got around even to CB. He never bothered with it, we had Roger Nye The FCC Guy as we called him long before anybody ever heard od Larry The Cable Guy. He was the biggest doofus I've EVER seen, how he ever got to be a Field Engineer I have no idea. He had a personal vendetta going against us, when he showed up to inspect my station I'd ditched the big guns (mine and a customer repair) under a blanket on dad's workbench. He turned in that direction, I grabbed his arm and said "The CB station is THIS way." and led him into my radio room/shop/man cave. There he got out the trusty Bird 43 watt meter and tried to screw an N connector into an SO-239. I picked up the right jumper and handed it to him. Then puzzled why he got no reading I handed him the right slug, he had a 250W 150MHz slug in it. Last he hooked up an ancient heterodyne type frequency meter, the kind you zero beat and read the dial settings. I got cited for too much power, a whole 4 1/4W and 3 channels off frequency. My set used individual crystals, crystal synthesizers were the latest thing in 23 channel sets, PLL was unheard of. I took the rig to the local CB shop owned by an Extra Class ham with a P2 license (later P1 and P2 were grandfathered to GROL), a slight adjustment of the loading cap brought it down to 4W and a new crystal fixed the off frequency problem. Tom the owner sounded off about idiot Roger, the other channels were spot on according to his counter. He gave me certification I mailed to the well known 201 Varick Street, NY, NY and all was well.

Then one day at Booger Fling (Burger King) a few towns away for an impromptu "coffee break" I spotted him in the lot writing down plates on cars with antennas. I mentioned it to our little group and some went over to the window, word spread fast. Then he had the GALL to come in, got an order and sat near us. BTW he was fat as a pig and a messy eater rather fun to watch listening for grunts and squeals. Before long he was nearly surrounded, leaving it all behind he beat a hasty retreat.

What I said about the inspection told you he wasn't very bright, I looked him up in the phone book and gave his address and number over the air every chance I got. You don't have to think too hard to figure out what came of it.

I wrote a flaming letter of complaint to his boss, Jack Shedletski at the field office and spread word to his other victims they should do likewise. It worked, he got a "promotion" flying a desk in Baltimore and was replaced by an Israeli whose name I don't recall, the exact opposite, the sharpest tack in the box. I worked with him on a TVI complaint case at a friend's station, to make a long story short it was quickly resolved to everybody's satisfaction.

Speaking of OOs, I know one I first met back in my CB daze who used a plate modulated ham transmitter bigger than mine, a character then and a character now. When he first joined "the club" he sent cards by the ton and all for the dumbest reasons, a really sick puppy. We fixed his wagon, we wiped our butts with them, put them in envelopes and mailed them back. Unfortunately I didn't come across this little billet-doux until after he quit sending dumb OO cards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

My dad had the callsign KRN-7578 I think, His cb buds that were unlicensed some how were of the opinion that unlicensed stations were not subject to FCC inspection.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

never had a cb license. was kinda before my time. I think my grandfather did but no idea.
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

KHV-6300 was mine. Well dad's, but we were all required and allowed to use it. I think he got it in '67 or '69.... And GAWD help us if we didn't follow the rules and dad found out about it. He heard somebody playing a Kazoo and since I had a Kazoo, I got my ass beat bloody....it didn't matter to him one whit that I'd broken the Kazoo a couple of days before and threw it away.

"One man with courage makes a majority." ~ Andrew Jackson

Steve KA9MOT
    Macomb, IL

Why is it that Dad's always believe daughters and never believe sons? Must be the DNA thing, or the ones with the balls usually lie.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL