Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need information

Need information

Gidday all from Oz...As you know I do a bit of tinkering and home brew a few amplifiers mostly VHF these days...Now, over 40 years of ham radio I have only owned a handfull of transceivers so I am not really familiar with most of the common ones produced in the past 25 years or so...

What I need is information . Can anyone tell me what dual band all mode VHF transceivers have been produced since 1980...Specifically 6 and 2 meters producing about 50 watts with adjustable output power levels...I really don't want HF plus VHF..I have a 706 but it isn't really much use to me.I have an old Yaesu 620 and a Kenwood TS700S but these are only 10 watt units..Good for setting up an amplifier but that's all.

I need such a transceiver for my workshop for tuning up the amplifiers I build...That's why I don't want anything fancy or new as things get knocked about in the workshop..I am sure someone here probably has a fair bit of knowledge regarding older radios..

HNY to all of you...Bob..VK3ZL..
    Last edited by VK3ZL; 01-13-2013 at 05:10 AM. Reason: additional text.

In the 50w arena...none that I know of. Most were 10w; the FT-736 produced 25w.

A few 2M/430 "all modes" produced higher power than that. If I were you I would look around for an FT-650 and an IC-910H. This gives you 6, 2 and 432 at 75-100w per band.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

About the only one I can think of is a Yaesu FT-8900, but it's FM-only.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    If I were you I would look around for an FT-650 and an IC-910H. This gives you 6, 2 and 432 at 75-100w per band.
    Good luck finding an affordable IC-910. Don't see many for sale these days.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Good luck finding an affordable IC-910. Don't see many for sale these days.
    And, when you do see one, it's goes for a shit-ton of money.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    And, when you do see one, it's goes for a shit-ton of money.
    And if I should I ever sell mine, it will too. Two DSP boards, 10W 1.2Ghz module, and voice synthesizer. It might even have the TCXO. ;)
    Last edited by KJ3N; 01-13-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Ten Tec 6'n2 comes to mind. But, they are discontinued and expensive used. You might want to get a couple of Ten Tec transverters (discontinued, used) and put a small amp on the 8 watts or so that they put out. About $125 each, so maybe $250?

I don't think you are going to find an inexpensive 6 and 2 meter only rig. Hell, if they existed, I'd have one.

Seriously, the transverters work quite well, I have three of them. Models exist to go from 20m or 10m to either 6m or 2m. One of the units I have goes from 2m to 6m, I'm not sure if they made one to go from 6m to 2m.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Gidday again...Thanks for the answers to my inquiry...It looks as though I am looking for the impissable, Ha..

910H radios are like gold here also and one would cost me the price of one of my amplifiers...Transverters are too messy and would take up space on my workbench...

I am now considering building up a 2 and 6 meter amplifier to go on the end of both my 10 watt rigs...These would be simple affairs probably using 100 watt power transistors with a variable output...As I only use carrier for tuning amps it only needs to be simple...I will scrounge through my junk box and see what I can find....

Bob..VK3ZL..

It's the 6+2 that's burning you here. Lotsa stuff does 6 these days, but it's all HF+6. An IC-7000 could do what you want and maybe replace your main rig, too (does 160 at the other end). Not particularly cheap, tho...

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    It's the 6+2 that's burning you here. Lotsa stuff does 6 these days, but it's all HF+6. An IC-7000 could do what you want and maybe replace your main rig, too (does 160 at the other end). Not particularly cheap, tho...
    Gets complicated...Nothing can replace my FT1000D on 160 meters though..I will keep my eyes open for a 6 and 2 meter older multi mode radio..My workshop isn't the environment for anything fancy..Rigs and time have passed me by apparently..I guess Yaesucomwood saw me coming, Ha...

Bob..VK3ZL.