Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VHF/UHF Repeater

VHF/UHF Repeater

Hi all!

I'm fifteen years old up here in S. Wisconsin. I'm tired of the "you can't say that," and the "God forbid that you talk for more than two seconds" repeaters, so I asked a local grain company to put a repeater up on their 175 foot tall elevator. They said yes.

I'm looking for donations of equipment, such as controllers, repeaters, radios that can be made into "home brew" repeaters, power supplies, coax, antennas, cables, etc. Also, advice/tips. I have an ID made for it thanks to some local radio DJ's.

Any donations of equipment/advice are welcomed t put the area's ONLY " Anti-BullCrap " repeater on the air. Hi hi.

Thanks all

de k9tsu

Orca Whisperer
    Don't want to rain on your parade, but prior to securing equipment, have you coordinated a repeater pair with your local repeater group? While, you don't have to coordinate, if you use someone's coordinated pair, and they complain, you will have to shut down your repeater.

That being said, I can offer some additional advice: Look for older Motorola gear, and try to find a local with Moto experience, to assist you. Running a repeater is a full time job, and a huge money sink.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

What Corey said, and you better have access to communication servicing equipment to keep the setup in proper tune.

A repeater is by no means a "plug and play" proposition.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    What Corey said, and you better have access to communication servicing equipment to keep the setup in proper tune.

A repeater is by no means a "plug and play" proposition.
    That is why you should keep an old guy in the basement. Something stops working, poke him with a stick, give him a cup of coffee, and throw him some crackers. At least that is what I do...well..he lives in his own basement. So, I have to drive over. Seriously though, a local ham back home has always been a big help to me when it comes to using test equipment, learning to fix things, and finding parts. His parts box is actually two. Two rooms that is. An attic and a basement filled from floor to roof. :D

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Quote Originally Posted by KB3LAZ View Post
    That is why you should keep an old guy in the basement. Something stops working, poke him with a stick, give him a cup of coffee, and throw him some crackers. At least that is what I do...well..he lives in his own basement. So, I have to drive over. Seriously though, a local ham back home has always been a big help to me when it comes to using test equipment, learning to fix things, and finding parts. His parts box is actually two. Two rooms that is. An attic and a basement filled from floor to roof. :D
    There are several "old guys" on here that fit your description.

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    There are several "old guys" on here that fit your description.
    Aye, however, to eliminate a few; his junk was in self made containers stored on shelves. This ham actually built shelving units from the floor to the ceiling.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Yes, I know it's a "full time job" and the pair of 147.345 is open in the area. As well as MANY 440 ones. I'm a control operator for the larges Skywarn repeater and link system in the area, so I know it isn't "plug and play."

And as mentioned... I'm thinking older commercial Motorola gear is going to be best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by KB3LAZ View Post
    Aye, however, to eliminate a few; his junk was in self made containers stored on shelves. This ham actually built shelving units from the floor to the ceiling.
    I'm confused. If they were built from the floor, what did they rest on?

Quote Originally Posted by K9TSU View Post
    Yes, I know it's a "full time job" and the pair of 147.345 is open in the area. As well as MANY 440 ones. I'm a control operator for the larges Skywarn repeater and link system in the area, so I know it isn't "plug and play."

And as mentioned... I'm thinking older commercial Motorola gear is going to be best bet.
    I would also have a look at the analog Icom or Yaesu repeater systems. Since the push to DStar and WIRES by these companies, a lot of decent older systems are coming available as they're upgraded.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    I'm confused. If they were built from the floor, what did they rest on?
    On the foundation?