Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need recommendations for my TenTec Scout 555.

Island Regular

Need recommendations for my TenTec Scout 555.

Today I bought a TenTec 555 Scout. I got the 40m, 20m and 10m modules. It came with a hand mic. I gave $300. Is that a decent deal? I saw it working.

I want to pick up a few more modules, of course. But most importantly I need a power supply and an antenna. Maybe a tuner for the antenna? I don't know.

It seems TenTec does not sell the modules anymore. Any ideas where to get them now?

The Ten Tec Scout is a piece of junk. Send it to me immediately.

Seriously, $300 is a bit on the high side for only three modules, but within the normal range. I've been looking for one of those for a while.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 12-15-2012 at 08:47 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Modules = Ebay. Bid wisely. I'd say $300 is about right for what you got. I'd find an antenna tuner (IMHO) before you start to TX. For a buck fifty you can find a nice MFJ at the next hamfest from an MFJ dealer. Do not buy direct from MFJ, they charge 15% more than what their distros charge. Now, if your future plans include QRO, I'd go ahead and get a monster antenna tuner now unless your plans include a solid state no tune amp.

Modules show up used. That's a fun, and simple rig.

Unless you only have resonant antennas, a tuner is important.

I don't think that rig need more than 10-15 amps, most Hamster supplies are 20 or more.
    Jetstream makes an OK power supply that is inexpensive. You'll want a 20-25 amp for later.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Island Regular
    Thank you, guys.

I originally promised to Ron, W3WN a Dentron Super Tuner which is in great working shape. A previous owner penciled some tuning notes on the unit's front panel; besides that it's in good cosmetic condition.

I'll let him and you make the call as to who (if either) of you want the thing. I don't want an arm and a leg for it.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Island Regular
    That's nice of you. I'll look around the forums for him.

By the way....cool screen name.
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I originally promised to Ron, W3WN a Dentron Super Tuner which is in great working shape. A previous owner penciled some tuning notes on the unit's front panel; besides that it's in good cosmetic condition.

I'll let him and you make the call as to who (if either) of you want the thing. I don't want an arm and a leg for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by EightGodzillas View Post
    That's nice of you. I'll look around the forums for him.
    Just wait to see which body part he does want for it. No wonder Ron ran off screaming like a little girl.

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman