Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Lager

Winter Lager

Just tried some Samuel Adams "Winter Lager". Damned is that stuff good. It's a nice spicy dark bock beer with a complex but rich pleasant flavour. Good stuff.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

I enjoy most of Sam Adams seasonal beers. They can keep their Boston Lager.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2crk View Post
    Yeah, I remember trying the Boston Lager and I didn't find it particularly great, although it is still better than most of the old main brands. But their seasonal beers are excellent and the winter lager is awesome. I hope it stays around through the holidays.

Back when I lived in Brooklyn Piels was a great beer, brewed locally, had a nice rich body and flavour. Too bad I wasn't legally allowed to drink it yet but it was good. Then like all the Major beer labels it was bought, sold , merged, resold, re-merged and along the way it turned to crap as did so many once good beers like Miller, Lowenbrau, Bud, Reingold and Ballantine.

I am really thankful that companies like Sam Adams revived the concept of good beer and lots of other companies followed suit. These days "Brooklyn Ale" is one of my favorites. But this sam Adams winter brew is a close runner up.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2crk View Post
    Boston Lager beats the pants of Budweiser, not that that's saying much.

John, if you can find it in your area, try a bottle of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Good stuff, excellent for cooking with as well.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 11-22-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

One winter the CO brewery New Belgium brewed up one called 2 below. I liked that better than their Fat Tire Ale.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Boston Lager beats the pants of Budweiser, not that that's saying much.

John, if you can find it in your area, try a bottle of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Good stuff, excellent for cooking with as well.
    Budweiser these days is little more than salty water. I'll keep an eye our for the Sierra Nevada. Not sure of its availability here.

Hmm, a dark lager, versus ale or beer, seems unusual until I remind myself it's only the difference between top & bottom fermenting yeasts.

Quote Originally Posted by HUGH View Post
    Hmm, a dark lager, versus ale or beer, seems unusual until I remind myself it's only the difference between top & bottom fermenting yeasts.
    Is that the main difference ? Now when we speak of an ale versus a beer what is the difference there ? I was always sort of confused between the different terms, beer, ale, lager, stout, etc. All I know is the ale's and beer's tend to be lighter while the lagers tend to be darker.

In California, at least, "beer" and "ale" are strictly legalistic terms that refer to the alcohol content. In this state, if it's got more than a certain percentage of alcohol, you can't call it "beer." You can call it "ale," however, no matter which type of yeast is used in the brewing process.

Go figure, laws here concerning adult beverages are arcane to say the least. You can, however, buy pretty much anything you want at any store with the appropriate liquor license between 6 AM and 2 AM seven days a week.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    In California, at least, "beer" and "ale" are strictly legalistic terms that refer to the alcohol content. In this state, if it's got more than a certain percentage of alcohol, you can't call it "beer." You can call it "ale," however, no matter which type of yeast is used in the brewing process.

Go figure, laws here concerning adult beverages are arcane to say the least. You can, however, buy pretty much anything you want at any store with the appropriate liquor license between 6 AM and 2 AM seven days a week.
    Same thing here, there are a lot of strange laws. For instance beer can be sold in supermarkets but not wines or liquors. Wine and liquor stores can open on Sunday and holidays but not until a certain time as the morning hours are for church. I think there are also laws governing what time a store can open if it lies within a certain distance of a church. And it differs from state to state, NY is different than Jersey, Connecticut if different the NY and NJ, etc. Lot of it is holdover crap from the old days.