Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.meter GS-35B EME amplifier..

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Another nice job, Bob. What do you use to cut the large hole with the recess for the tube socket? As I said before, the metal work is just amazing.
    I believe he previously mentioned he owned a lathe. What I want to know is how he spun that big chunk of aluminum. Four-jaw chuck?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I believe he previously mentioned he owned a lathe. What I want to know is how he spun that big chunk of aluminum. Four-jaw chuck?

I don't think Chuck works with him any more.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

I cut out all the holes by hand...First I scribe a circle of the appropriate hole....I scribe another circle 1/8 inch inside the first circle...I then use an 1/8 drill and drill holes around the inner circle...I then carefully cut out the metal using a small pair of side cutters...I use a half round file to remove the rough edges and take it to the outside circle...This is hard work and bloody tedious but I can cut and finish a hole in a perfect circle...I use this method on all the panels for sockets, meters etc...

Now you all know why I am a grumpy old geezer...

Bob..VK3ZL..

Jezzus, talk about patience and a labor of love. I think after about 30 minutes of that shit, I'd just finish the hole with my 12 Ga shotgun.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Jezzus, talk about patience and a labor of love. I think after about 30 minutes of that shit, I'd just finish the hole with my 12 Ga shotgun.
    One must have infinite patience when doing these jobs...A friend of mine told me years ago to always do a job to the best of your ability..I have had years of practice...There are many things I still have to learn and each of these amplifiers add to my knowledge..Unfortunately the old ham ways are disappearing..I have a million things I could pass on but I'm afraid that most will die with me..

Bob..VK3ZL..

Quote Originally Posted by VK3ZL View Post
    One must have infinite patience when doing these jobs...A friend of mine told me years ago to always do a job to the best of your ability..I have had years of practice...There are many things I still have to learn and each of these amplifiers add to my knowledge..Unfortunately the old ham ways are disappearing..I have a million things I could pass on but I'm afraid that most will die with me..

Bob..VK3ZL..

There are defiantly many things that you could pass on to others. However, there is also raw talent in there that one either posses or does not. Yes, learned skill but there is an art about your work that is yours. I can use a tool to draw a circle on construction paper but no matter how many times I try, I just cant seem to cut it out perfectly. That is with paper, forget about anything more solid.

Also, you had previously mentioned that due to costly shipping, even less the transformer that exporting one of your projects to the states would be too costly. I suppose that is a matter of perspective. One of a kind, hand crafted, and by a friend and fellow ham VS mass production speaks volumes itself. Besides, in the end, one would still have a small fortune less invested when compared to something like an Alpha.

As I said, hand made and attention to detail alone are only but a few things to look at.

I suppose it would boil down to not only a tool but a conversation piece and memento for a lifetime.

As always, I enjoy seeing your work.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Carl, to do that on a lathe you would clamp the metal to a face plate....and turn it slowly.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by W5GA View Post
    Carl, to do that on a lathe you would clamp the metal to a face plate....and turn it slowly.
    Yeah, that makes sense. I never think about using a faceplate because I never had access to a lathe that was equipped with one. All I know is that I hated setting up stock in a four-jaw chuck.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Bob, just curious, do you have any photos of home brewed gear other than amps? Rigs, specifically.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

I will be doing that soon again too. Cutting big round holes in a panel. I bought a circle cutter from harbor Frieght, but it is absolutely useless. Only good for cutting holes in WOOD!!!

My 2 holes will be about 2 inches in diameter, but fortunately, if they are ill cut, the meters will hide any defects. I plan to drill a series of holes around the circle and then file it to fit. What an incredibly tedious amount of hard work! I need to find a circle cutter that will hold up to Aluminum!