Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start of Em-Comm in Amateur Radio

Start of Em-Comm in Amateur Radio

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...-disaster.html

After much research and pitching this story to many reporters it was finally published. Most people had heard the story based on the Modern Electrics [now Popular Science] article from April 1913. Local news accounts had Herbert Akerberg as the one in the disaster sending information to The Ohio State University station. Sadly the OSU club has totally lost this part of history. Often they state they started in 1924 and 1926. With the aniversary of this event coming up in four months Herbert Akerberg should be honored for his work and ambition.

Orca Whisperer
    Wow, that was pretty cool... And to think, it was all done without a reflective vest :P
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Wow, that was pretty cool... And to think, it was all done without a reflective vest :P
    Didn't have a license, none required until September of 1913. This was also the year before the ARRL started. Akerberg went on to design the CBS Radio network and then the CBS T.V. Network.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Or even an HT or a Ford Crown Vic with 40 antennas and a light bar on it.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Maybe a Model T with a fifth spark coil?
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Maybe a Model T with a fifth spark coil?

I LOLed
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Or even an HT or a Ford Crown Vic with 40 antennas and a light bar on it.
    Yup...... this is what makes or breaks the whac..... err...... we're not supposed to call them whackers.....but gosh darn this ain't QRZ!!!!
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt! :roll:

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!

Quote Originally Posted by VE7DCW View Post
    Yup...... this is what makes or breaks the whac..... err...... we're not supposed to call them whackers.....but gosh darn this ain't QRZ!!!!
    Don't matter. I still wrote it down in my notebook...
    Give a man a fish, and he will eat it. Teach a man to fish and he will spend lots of money on tackle...

Boy did this ever get off topic. BTW here is the official website for Whacker: http://www.whackerusa.com/ I'm not against lights, vests or "badging". They have their place, just don't use them in a narsassistic way. At 15 years of age I'm sure Akerberg simply made or verified the conditions at the time. No "sun shine" reports here. With nearly 100 dead I'm sure some family members were happy to hear their loved ones were O.K.

I agree Em-Comm needs a major change with that focus being on attitude. A good start is to require training and certification for leadership. Look at the ARRL FSD 98, not one question on experience or training. Next is a policy on when and how to represent yourself as an Em-Comm member. No one cares at the grocery if you have an ARES/RACES/Skywarn sign.

Of course the thread got off track... It's the Island Way! ;)

The best way is to do a good job when asked, and be humble about it. Like UnderDog as ShoeShine Boy. Humble and loveable.

I've done NOAA weather reports in the past, and was a Civil Defense storm watcher as a kid before SkyWarn existed. Don't do any of it now in Ham Radio, but I might now that I live in the foothills west of Denver. ARES groups here are very involved in fire watch efforts, some groups are less narcissistic. I have no patience for that.

My workplace has trained me in the Incident Command structure, and sometimes I need to step up when I'm the first one on an accident scene. Such is the life of a highway worker, even if the gig is in electronic traffic control and such. I do have wacker lights on my work truck.

Whacker Knot is a funny title, because I like the mythology of the Gordian Knot.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman