Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandy aftermath resurrects ancient communication forms...

Sandy aftermath resurrects ancient communication forms...

Seems the lack of electronic gizmo's to wrap oneself up into has caused city dwellers (and some country mice) to actually look each other in the eye and engage each other in conversation. Social archaeologists have been excavating older interaction tools from secret chambers--decks of cards, board games, photo albums--and using this forgotten 'conversation' mode to interact with each other whilst gathered around them.

This article states that people are actually coming from "powered" parts of the city to take part in what is occurring. This trend will be short lived I fear. As soon as services become widespread again, life can go on with people texting each other about nothing--whilst ignoring those around them... :quiet:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2067462.html
    Last edited by AE1PT; 11-04-2012 at 11:15 AM.
    Give a man a fish, and he will eat it. Teach a man to fish and he will spend lots of money on tackle...

Simply barbaric and otherworldly.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Words with friends in person instead of via smartphones? Wow.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Jump Teams are standing by.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

A similar thing happened here during the twelve-hour power failure in 2011. The usually dead night time streets of this dull suburban burg were filled with people moving around, having long conversations with neighbors, meeting people one has lived near for years and never spoken to before. It was pretty cool. The lights came back around 2 am the next morning and the following evening, everything returned to normal.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    A similar thing happened here during the twelve-hour power failure in 2011. The usually dead night time streets of this dull suburban burg were filled with people moving around, having long conversations with neighbors, meeting people one has lived near for years and never spoken to before. It was pretty cool. The lights came back around 2 am the next morning and the following evening, everything returned to normal.
    I think that's called the "cockroach effect".
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I was out for 5 days but not too many people were hanging out outside because the weather was cold and rough. Two days later we were still feeling the effects of the storm... cold dreary overcast skies, scattered showers, and a few left over wind gusts....although not nearly as strong as during Monday. Then right after that a cold front came through so it was not the kind of weather that people other than myself like to be out in. But I'd imagine if it were milder more people would have come outside and the situation would be like the one you described.

I was outside grilling steaks on the barbecue the next night right after the storm and then a few days later. Reason being we had these really good steaks in the fridge and freezer and we didn't want them to spoil. It was kind of fun grilling outside in the dark.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Beach Bum
    Will be interesting to wait and see if the birth rate takes a spike in 9 months !

Conch Master
    I remember when the leading form of neighborhood communication was the front porch and a refrigerator full of drinks. After work, my father would sit on the front porch with a paper and beer. Neighbors would stop by to talk and he would tell them to go in and grab a beer. Soon the wives and kids came out with food. Pretty soon we had a gathering of families on somebodies front porch until dark.
    Last edited by KK4AMI; 11-05-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    I remember when the leading form of neighborhood communication was the front porch and a refrigerator full of drinks. After work, my father would sit on the front porch with a paper and beer. Neighbors would stop by to talk and he would tell them to go in and grab a beer. Soon the wives and kids came out with food. Pretty soon we had a gathering of families on somebodies front porch until dark.
    Yep, that's how it was at my Grandfather's house in the Bronx in the old days. Everyone used to gather in the kitchen and on Sunday's in the summer the front door would be open and old friends, acquaintances, and neighbors would just walk in, have a little wine, some bread and cheese, and they would sit and talk. Don;t see that way of life that much anymore.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.