Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sandy aftermath resurrects ancient communication forms...

I was playing around with an old 1920's-30's style regenerative receiver while the power was out here. It was amazing how great and noise free was the reception with none of the computers, networking, and consumer electronic junk running. I was picking up all sorts of stations on the MW and HF freqs. Now that the power is back the noise floor is back to normal and the reception is loaded with the usual birdies and noise.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

I'd like to play with a regen receiver at the new QTH. Noise floor on 75 without thunderstorms is less than 1 S unit.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Twice and a half I had plenty of noise free DX when the power went out, the twice were the two New York blackouts when all FM and TV went out and most of the AM stations except for a few transmitters on the Jersey side that lost studio feed and transmitter control. No big deal, only a few dead carriers blocking DX but no splatter on adjacent frequencies. I lived in a dead quiet area because light dimmers and electronic noisemakers weren't invented yet. By the time of the great northeast blackout I was a ham and with such a wide area gone radio dark as well as literally all I had to contend with was that infernal in house buzzing I never figured out, the radio landscape sure looked different. BTW what saved us from that massive cascade failure were the engineers at Oyster Creek Nuclear who had enough sense to take us off the grid before the plant went down. Yup, this is KB2VXA, station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas. (Oldies tend to fart a lot.)
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Twice and a half I had plenty of noise free DX when the power went out, the twice were the two New York blackouts when all FM and TV went out and most of the AM stations except for a few transmitters on the Jersey side that lost studio feed and transmitter control. No big deal, only a few dead carriers blocking DX but no splatter on adjacent frequencies. I lived in a dead quiet area because light dimmers and electronic noisemakers weren't invented yet. By the time of the great northeast blackout I was a ham and with such a wide area gone radio dark as well as literally all I had to contend with was that infernal in house buzzing I never figured out, the radio landscape sure looked different. BTW what saved us from that massive cascade failure were the engineers at Oyster Creek Nuclear who had enough sense to take us off the grid before the plant went down. Yup, this is KB2VXA, station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas. (Oldies tend to fart a lot.)
    Glad to hear you're ok.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

This makes me want to go out and buy a QRP rig, a key and a gel cell.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Good to see ya' Warren!
    Heard from our "Sodium Free Ham" ???

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.