Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Got a Tower

Just Got a Tower

A local ham just gave me his old Tristao T354 54' crank-up tower. It's a bit rusty but restorable, I think. It does seem pretty light-duty, I think it was intended to be guyed but I can't find a lot of info on it online. Anyone here know about these?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

It's junk. I be over in a few hours to haul it off for you.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

I've got this Déjà vu feeling.
    even looked up to check the date.

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Master Navigator
    I don't know anything about the tower, but are you sure it's not not the CTL-354 model listed on page 14 of this catalog: 1976 TRISTAO CATALOG
    Last edited by XE1/N5AL; 10-20-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wb5ydk View Post
    I don't know anything about the tower, but are you sure it's not not the CTL-354 model listed on page 14 of this catalog: 1976 TRISTAO CATALOG
    Yeah, I think it may be. Thanks for the link.

Edit: Looking more closely at that catalog, I think it's more likely that it's the CTL-154. Too light-duty for an HF beam but it might be okay to support a VHF antenna and/or an inverted V.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 10-20-2012 at 10:20 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    It's junk. I be over in a few hours to haul it off for you.
    After close examination, Eddie, I don't think I can use it. Not enough room on my little suburban lot for the required guys. If you want it, it's yours.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    After close examination, Eddie, I don't think I can use it. Not enough room on my little suburban lot for the required guys. If you want it, it's yours.
    Tell ya what. next time I'm in the neighborhood, I'll help you run some guy wires. Maybe a couple to Pats place, a set to Tijuana, and, and and and gee, who else do we all know from San Diego? Actually, you might be able to use it for trading stock, or list it on Craigslist. I see all kinds of towers on the CL around here in the same condition you described. Might be able to raise a few bucks to invest in another BA.

By the way, Elektra is on, and that reminds me I have to drop Jennifer Garner (boy she is hot) a line. I FU last time and sent it to James.

Yeah, I think it may be. Thanks for the link.

Edit: Looking more closely at that catalog, I think it's more likely that it's the CTL-154. Too light-duty for an HF beam but it might be okay to support a VHF antenna and/or an inverted V.
    Depends on the beam. You should consider a Hex beam.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Be a nice tower upon which to place a 6/2/432 Yagi stack. Then run some Alpha-Delta 160-30M slopers from the apex and select among them with an RCS-4 or similar switch.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Any possibility of putting it in the ground a bit, (or pour a little concrete or bury three of those pre-cast concrete pillars they sell at HD or Lowes for the base), attach a house bracket to the upper part for stability, and then you could probably use 25-30 feet of it without too much trouble. Probably more if you just nest part of it when you aren't using it. Or as mentioned above, you could do some inverted vees which would act as guys. I don't know what you currently have, or if this would even be an improvement. Just thinking out loud..............