Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just Got a Tower

I bought a gallon of phosphoric acid to remove the rust, figuring that even if I don't use it myself it will be easier to sell/unload if it looks a little better. Once it's been cleaned up, I'll paint it and replace the cable as well.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Carl, if you use it yourself DO NOT GUY IT. It's designed to be self-supporting. Putting guys on it VASTLY increases the strain on the tower, especially the cable. A buddy of mine in Chula Vista had one for years, and it had no trouble at all supporting a TH-6.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

Conch Master
    TOWER QUESTION! My property is on a hilltop, so I pretty much have a 360 degree view all the way down to the 0 degree horizon. However I have a lot of 60 to 80 ft oak trees surrounding and on my property. If I wanted to put up a tower, can I get away with a 35 ft tower, or do I need to go over top of the trees to be effective (100 ft)? I assume the trees might attenuate my signal enough to make it a lost cause for a high gain antenna.
    Last edited by KK4AMI; 11-08-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

My understanding is that trees don't typically attenuate signals below 30MHz all that much.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Pine tree sap in the needles messes with RF a bit more, but yea.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by W5GA View Post
    Carl, if you use it yourself DO NOT GUY IT. It's designed to be self-supporting. Putting guys on it VASTLY increases the strain on the tower, especially the cable. A buddy of mine in Chula Vista had one for years, and it had no trouble at all supporting a TH-6.
    Doug, the guy who owned it before told me that it was intended to be guyed. In any case, I've decided not to use it for a couple of reasons, the big one being that I can't positively identify the tower make or model so I can't find the engineering data I need to obtain a permit. I'm also a little concerned about the overall condition of the tower; a 50-plus foot tower is potentially a very large liability and if I erect one, I want to cross all my "T"s and dot all my "I"s. I'm thinking instead of just using the very bottom 22-foot section for either my 10m Moxon or for my 6m and 2m verticals.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    My understanding is that trees don't typically attenuate signals below 30MHz all that much.

They will if they fall on the transmitter.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    They will if they fall on the transmitter.
    Especially if the operator is there at the time.

Permits??? Weeeee don't need no steeeeeenkin permits!!!!
    Encrypt everything. Even if you have nothing to hide. It increases the noise floor.